R9 390 Ubuntu 17.04 AMD GPU support

I'm not sure if this warrants own post, but extensive searching has given me nothing.

After my months long desire to have good gpu support for my r9 390 (yet being too lazy to compile my own kernal....), I have been pleased to discover that Ubuntu 18.04 now uses kernel 4.10.0-24-generic, which hey, the flag enabled to make amd gpu work with Hawaii cards. Nice.
Much to my pleasure, lspci -k shows
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] (rev 80)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

However, no matter what I attempt, I have no idea how to make it actually USE amdgpu instead of radeon. I'm tempted to just try and uninstall radeon, but if that doesn't work, I don't want to waste time fixing my system. And i'm sure i'm not the only one thinking this right now.

Thanks for letting me abuse this forum and never contribute! (to be fair, I always mean to look here occasionally, but I usually end up watching you tube and in discords).
edit: spelling and correctness

Uninstalling Mesa is an awful idea, it'll break many things even if you were to use the NVIDIA proprietary driver.

Have you tried to blacklist radeon under a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d?

I assume that's how you blacklist in Ubuntu, been on Arch for a while and can't remember.

1 Like

Its called the AMDGPU info/news thread.

1 Like

you probably want amdgpu.powerplay=1 in the kernel cmd options also, you can find guides online, even archlinux guides are useful for getting it setup in Ubuntu.

Radeon just hates being blacklisted. I finally got amdgpu to run, by blacklisting with a grub cmd command. Archwiki is extremely handy.

in /etc/default/grub i added GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="modprobe.blacklist=radeon"
then ran sudo update-grub
and waza, now lspci -k shows
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] (rev 80)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390]
Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu"

The shrill of victory was sweet.
(And I know most of you probably know how to blacklist with a grub command, and how to update grub's configuration. I added that full description because I have a feeling that somebody will find this with a search engine, and my experience will be helpful to them.)

Thanks for informing me of that. That is still only really useful once amdgpu is already running. I will do that now, as the benefits seem worth it.

Yeah I was going to mention the grub blacklist method but thought you'd find it anyway on the ArchLinux AMDGPU guide as its mentioned there.