Questions regarding the 3090

I don’t really see that much of a difference between the 3080 and 3090. Unless the perceived heat doesn’t scale linearly.

As I’ve mentioned above my questions have more of an academic nature. That being said, I think the 3090 also has the following appeal: Sooner or later the 3080ti will be released which naturally performs better than the 3080. This is the moment when, as 3080er buyer people might get buyer’s remorse. This 3080ti will be probably be roughly 10% faster than a 3080. But if you buy a 3090, this won’t happen in that way. Will there be a 3090ti or a real Titan? Possibly. But it will still be more expensive (2000-2500$) without offering that much more performance. My assumption would be 5% since the 3090 is already pretty maxed out.

Thx :slight_smile:

Which AIB do you have? Yeah, undervolting is pretty neat. Is it as easy as setting a general offset or to you have to do it Turing-style? How much wattage did your card need before the undervolt?

There’s always a new card around the corner, and prices generally come down.

The 3090 is the fastest thing on the block (today) but… there’s nothing that needs it yet or in the near future and by the time a 3080 isn’t enough you’ll be able to get a 4080 or whatever for half the price of a 3090 today :smiley:

With less heat, power consumption, etc.

In my eyes the 3090 is basically Nvidia throwing caution to the wind and pushing the silicon they have as far as they can. Which, if that’s what you want, great. But you’re paying a massive premium for a fairly small uplift vs. a 3080 which is already way ahead of the software available.

If you’re doing real work with it, and it will increase your throughput then fair enough, but that will be somewhat limited workloads as these cards aren’t quadros and don’t have certified drivers for stuff outside of video production…

Heat, power, price - my personal view is that I don’t think the 3090 is a starter. Especially not until we see what big navi brings to the table anyway. For all we know just yet, Nvidia might be pushing the thing to 370 watts and releasing with limited supply to get some market before AMD release.

Maybe Navi will be a failure too, but they’ve got a process advantage and I just don’t think Nvidia would push so hard and drop price so much on their mainstream (upper mainstream I guess, we’re talking 70 and 80 series cards here!) cards unless there was something interesting coming. I’d wager they’re more aware of what AMD have in the pipe than we are.

:slight_smile:

edit:
also re heat. My Vega 64s were configured for between 240-300 watts TDP (at a guess) each. Usually I ran them on balanced profile for better performance which was significantly under 300 watts per card. Total system draw (corsair PSU metrics) was normally under 600 if I recall. It still heated the room pretty well :smiley:

Pushing Vega 64 with Performance profile on the blower cooler didn’t get you anything (maybe 2-5%) for a HEAP more heat and noise. You may well find similar with a 3090 - back the power down a little (as per @hoborific above) and you’ll probably still get most of the performance at far less power. As you get close to the edge (where AMD usually set clocks and where Nvidia look to be with the 3090) the increase in heat and power ramps FAST.

1 Like

Definitely true! However, there is a difference between expecting new HW to be released soon-ish and still some time down the road. E.g. I would argue that purchasing Ryzen 3000 currently doesn’t make much sense if it can be avoided, since Ryzen 4000 is around the corner.

For me, it is just a combination of an almost fully equipped chip on an inferior node (Samsung 8nm).

As far as we know, Ampere didn’t have a limited supply. Or are you talking about the 3090 alone, where nVidia even stated that they would release it in a more limited quantity?
As mentioned above, the 370W are the result of an inferior node and the release time doesn’t say anything about Big Navi. The only thing related to Big Navi is that nVidia changes the narrative when they release before AMD is able to. If AMD were the first to release, Big Navi would have been compared to Turing and it would have been remembered in that way. (Not by us, but by the more average consumer.) But Ampere was released before Big Navi, hence Big Navi will be compared to Ampere.

I think AMD won’t be able to compete with the 3090, but they might be able to be faster than a 3080. If that’s the case, the 3080ti will be released. It remains to be seen what AMD can offer. I do hope they don’t mess up their reference card design again.

Off Topic: I would even bet, that the flagship Big Navi will use HBM.

I further lowered the card to 1725mhz@768Mv for a sustained load of about 280w however I also used a 80% power limit which brings it down from the 390w from 100-105%

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.