Questions AMD APU PFSense Build

I would follow the guide here first (first link), but after you clean the USB drive, redownload and verify the install img (second link), then continue and use the Win32 program (back to the first link).

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/hardware/writing-disk-images.html

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/install/verify-downloaded-files.html

Bit of a late opinion to input but here goes it.
I would personally look at virtualizing your pfsense with that 2400g.

I have proxmox as my hypervisor on a dell R620 and w/ 2 cores allocated to my pfsense VM and 2gb of ram I am able to do both a gigabit internal network transfer and download at gig speeds(xfinity) while the cpu only hits ~65% on those two cores.
The CPU in my machine is 2x E5 2637v2 which sit around 3.6ghz on average. With a 2400g you should see similar throughput, if not better, than my server.
If you put it in proxmox w/ only 2 of your 8 threads and 2gb ram that gives you headroom to do a lot more fun stuff! For instance you can have a plex server, or a virtualized pihole to filter out ads, or a VPN to access your home network from abroad, a steamcache, etc.

Again, this is just my opinion but I think proxmox would give you better flexibility for any future projects you may want on the box, and if you upgrade or change systems you can just clone the VM! (Also, if you mess up the install it’s as simple as killing the VM and starting a new one.)

1 Like

Hey folks, can you let me know if I am even doing the correct download for my setup?

1. Is the Ryzen 2400G amd64? I am not too familiar with Ryzen APUs, so I just assumed it was 64 architecture.

2. Even though I can install Ubuntu on the SSD maybe PFSense requires it to work at 100%? I ask cause I did get a report that the SSD has some bad sectors.

3. Should I be choosing USB Memstick Installer Serial instead of VGA? I have no clue about this one.

I tried the USB clean, but I still can’t get passed the root partition cannot be found pop-up once I try installing PFSense on the SSD.

I tried again and it worked this time. I suspect the SSD or USB stick might be going bad.