QUESTION: Verify copy WIndows 10

Hey Gang,

Question - migrating data to my TrueNAS Scale build; is there a way to verify the files copied to the NAS? Windows 10.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Some of the old file explorer replacement programs used to do file integrity verification back in the day. I would assume they still do. I think Robocopy is built into Win10 now and I’m pretty sure that does verification, of course it’s command line but it works, or used to.

Robocopy to perform the copy, so something like:

robocopy D:\Source \\\SERVER\share /MIR /R:5 /W:5 /Z

/MIR will mirror the data
/R:5 is retry 5 times
/W:5 is wait 5 seconds between retry
/Z is restartable mode

If you want to go deeper, then I would suggest rsync as this can compare the source and destination checkums. That being said, robocopy is very robust (hence the name) and never had any data loss or corruption using it.

Awesome - just what I needed @DavieDavieDavie - is the metadata retained, i.e., dates associated with the files? Reading through the Microsoft docs to find out…

Yes, things like creation, modification times remain intact. The only thing that isn’t copied is security permissions, which wouldn’t really apply unless you’re in a domain.

Full documentation on robocopy can be found here: robocopy | Microsoft Docs

1 Like

Now that is a slow copy! LOL

I’ll grow old and start farming (food - not crypto) before it’ll move 20TB over 10GbE backbone! LOL

20 TB ÷ 10 Gb/s
20/10 × TBs/Gb
2 × 1000*8*s
16000 s = 4.4… hours

If you meant binary TB (TiB), than that would be more like 4.886… hours.

Am I missing something, that does not seem so bad for 20TB.

TeraCopy can be configured to checksum after file copy operations. You could also use something like Quickhash GUI.

2 Likes

Teracopy does this. I highly like teracopy.

1 Like

A bit late on this response - what I determined was robocopy is super fast if you multi-thread the copy using /mt[:n]

If you don’t it’ll get hung up on large files and wait while they complete in series. Ugh.

2 Likes

Good to know, though I did not think sequential access would slow anything down, especially over a network connection.

n MiB/s is still n MiB/s regardless of whether it comes from one or multiple files.

If anything, I would only expect there to be any difference with small files where filesystem overhead (creation, fopen) could be at play. If your NAS has hard drives, there too there is an advantage to not having the read/write heads jump around between two different files.

Maybe RAID/RAID-Z or even just CoW filesystems change this normally expectation? If you would not mind, I would be curious what medium HDD/SSD and filesystem/RAID were in use on source and destination.

if you can boot into windows on the nas then you can run an integrity check with dism.

it wont check 3rd party files but will check the o.s for issues and give options for repairs if needed.

if your talking copy time verify, from your boot system to the nas. then that option might be in your migration software.

The best to do this job is Teracopy Pro and also there are some alternatives that have the same option such as Good Sync and Gs Richcopy360 .
Every tool has an effective feature to verify the copied files, also to copy the modified files only.