Question for Logan, Wendell, Qain, and Pistol

First thing first, love what you guys are doing. Keep up the great work!

I reference to my question, I currently work for a fraternal life insurance company in NW Pa as a System Analyst.

To put it plainly, the place is run with the mantra of "its who you know, not what you know". I am at wits end. My education is an associates of business, computer systems networking/IT, which I find myself using less and less. Is there any advice/insight that any of you can give me to find a job that is 1. in my field and 2. not make me want to scoop my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon.

Any response would be great,

Thanks again, Patrick.

Be your own boss? I know it's easier said than done,but seriously,we all need more entrepreneurs around.

There are far to many companies run with said mantra in mind, but keep looking! There are great places to work out there (not that I work at one either). AND Lebozo is right, but maybe go to part time and supplement the lost income with entrepreneurial efforts. I recently started telling friends and family I can do computer work for them, and it's picking up fast.

I appreciate the input. I do a little on the side (co-workers, etc..) while working full time, and preparing for updates to my CompTIA certs, but the area I am in only will go so far. (dying manufacturing town, i.e locomotives)

Same as me then I'm afraid, a move to a thriving/expanding area. Scary but necessary.

Here's to living out of my car!  Thanks very much for the responses.

Haven't read the word locomotives in a very long time.I'm sorry man.

You know what?It's always the people who deal with problems that become the entrepreneurial type.Even though you might have to rough it out for a while,you are aiming to solve communal problems. At the very least,you know what plagues people and won't ignore them like suits at corporate do.

To Pittsburgh I go. I'll do my best, and see whats comes of IT. No pun intended. Again, thanks for the boost.

What about the KC area? I hear tech startups are moving in?

That is a definite possibility.