Question: Any compatibility issues with this NEMIX memory for Threadripper Pro?

Hello!

New user to the forum. First post.

Do any of you foresee any compatibility issues with using this ram in conjunction with a ASrock WRX80 Creator R2.0 and Threadripper Pro 5955WX?

Memory in question: (found on Amazon)
512GB 8x64GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 2Rx4 RDIMM ECC Registered Memory by NEMIX RAM

I know choice of ram can be tricky in Threadripper lands.
If this is not suitable, is there something else that is Registered ECC comparable in price?

Thank you for any assistance.

Refer to your mobo’s memory QVL… otherwise YMMV.

Yeah, I have looked at that though the official list seems rather limited. And what it does show doesn’t seem to be very available - at least that the ones I’ve picked out as options so far.

Though someone told me if the ram works on Epyc, there’s a good chance it would work in my case here.

Hi Starius,
For choosing memory, the place to start are websites of memory manufacturers. For example, this link shows which Kingston modules are compatible with your board:

Memory for ASRock - WRX80 Creator / WRX80 Creator R2.0

Scroll down and select the [Server Premier] tab to see 26 compatible ECC modules.

Likewise for other manufacturers.

Can Threadrippers even use Registered DIMMs?

I thought they were UDIMMs only? Am I misremembering things? I cant seem to find a source for them using UDIMMs

That’s the case for Threadripper (1st and 2ng gen, not sure 3rd), but I believe Threadripper Pros can take RDIMMs and LRDIMMs too. Surely something OP wants to certain of, though.

Yes, using non registered memory is actually kind of the odd thing out on Threadripper Pro. But they can take just about anything. But I think it would be unwise not to use registered memory for anything over 128GB.

Taking a suggestion from @nnunn though, I did contact NEMIX support this morning and the fellow I talked to checked and believed that this ram should work just fine with the system.

Also, as another potential positive, someone who runs a Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T with a Epyc 7000 series processor told me this ram works just fine on that - and while not the same, it’s at least a close enough relative that it gave me a hint of comfort.

So I think I will go through with choosing this ram. And when the time comes to install the system, I will report back here on the success of compatibility one way or another - for the sake of historical record.

2 Likes

Just be sure to check that all the sticks are the right pieces. I picked up 128GB of ram from them through amazon and got 3 32GB and 1 16GB. They took it back no problem.

Ah thank you for the advice @TType85 !
I shall indeed keep an eye out for just that.
I have been debating about whether I should get it from Amazon or from them directly, which does appear to be the less expensive option. I wonder if direct would make any difference at all in the potential mix-up department.