Question about solidigm p41 plus

I’m wanting to get a 2230 ssd for my framework 16 and have seen that the solidigm p41 plus is a good choice. But everywhere i look people say you need to update its firmware for it to work. I would like to use this as a boot drive and i am not sure if i need to update before i install an os or i can do that after

In general, you can do it later. But if the reports you’ve read about this drive are accurate, update it BEFORE installing an OS.

All you need is a USB to put Solidignm’s Bootable FW Update Tool on (no OS required!)

There is a reason the P41 Plus drives are on the cheaper side - it’s QLC. For regular, everyday use it will be fine.

1 Like

…although doing the jump to TLC isn’t much in terms of cost for most cases and usually increases reliability by quite a bit.

1 Like

(can’t post links) Would the CORSAIR MP600 MINI be good to get instead then? i’m really not all in the know about ssd’s

Yes, the Corsair MP600 Mini 1TB is among the top of the pack for current single-sided PCIe 4.0 M.2 2230 TLC drives and would be a fine pick. (NOT the “CORE Mini” which is QLC).

If you don’t mind answering another question of mine, is any type of tlc good? like 3d tlc, 3d nand tlc, or just plain tlc

As long as it says TLC, you’re good (all TLC for current NVMe SSDs is 3D NAND).

If you were looking at regular size NVMes (2280), I’d also say go with those that have a DRAM buffer, but that is very rare for the tiny 2230 drives (“DRAMless” or “memoryless”). These 2230 drives instead use a small amount of your regular RAM (say, 128MB) for a “host memory buffer” that performs quite well.

1 Like

Thank you for the info and help!

1 Like

Just for a sanity check, corsair has alot of products with mp600 in its name, the one i said should be CORSAIR MP600 MINI PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD – M.2 2230 correct?

Yes.

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-MP600-Mini-NVMe-PCIe/dp/B0C28HLKNB

1 Like