Question about fan hubs

Gonna get this fan hub to complement my next build
Question: If I plug 3-pin fans into it, will I still be able to control them?

Those kind of hubs usually have one plug, that is fully electrically wired and is used to control the entire hub, for precisely that reason - you are then able to plug any fans, as long as you have a 4pin pwm fan on the control plug...

The hub has sata power and a pwm into the Mobo

My setup would be
3-pin fan > 4-pin on hub > 4pin on mobo

You need atleast one pwm fan on the correct header in order to control the fans. Otherwise they will all run at max speed...

yeah usually 4 pin has pwm speed control. some 3 pin can be controlled by voltage but you need a fan controller or onboard pin that does that. hubs like that is usually just supplying power to fans, also 3rd pin usually just the speed monitor.

This one uses Sata power and motherboard pwm header for speed control.
I am not entirely sure it's possible to use 3pin fans and still have speed control, because all materials sais pwm, 4pin, pwm... Nothing about 3 pin fans, and if marketing isn't boasting it, then it probably isn't going to work...

oh i see sorry didnt look too closely

if you plug a 3 pin into that one it would probably just run at max. doubt the pwm can control it without pwm.

No, they will run at full speed.

3 pin fans work differently to 4 pin fans.
3 pin fans control the speed by changing the supply voltage.
4 pin fans are provided full voltage, and the speed is controlled by the extra pin. If that makes sense.
Usually the motherboard will auto-sense what type of fan is plugged in, and allow you to seamlessly control the speed.

The advantage of 4 pin fans, is you can power them directly from the power supply and control them from one port on the motherboard, without overloading it. You can get a cable that does the same thing as this box, barring the 2200uf cap of course. You could add one if you want, but the PSU should have plenty of caps in it anyway.,

I think I'll get this then

thanks all!