Quantum computing and all that

Hey, guys! I've just begun studying quantum computing and honestly I don't have a good understanding of theory of computation or quantum mechanics in general. Having done nothing more than a rudimentary study about automatons, Turing machines and all that and on the quantum side of the subject, just a vague understanding of the formalism, few interesting problems like SHO and particle in a box.
I have found the topic of quantum computing not as intimidating as I thought it'd be. Things like qubit and quantum logic gates a few simple algorithms are not that hard of a topic to tackle and they remove a lot of misconceptions regarding instantaneous teleportation and other things floating around as click baits.
Then again, I'm only a beginner. I just want a discussion to get going. People can share their problems and interests on this topic. I want to know what you guys are upto :P

Like lots of people, I'm interested in quantum computing mostly because of Shor's Algorithm and Grover's Algorithm, which when combined will probably make modern public-key encryption obsolete once real quantum computation on more than about 1000 qubits becomes common. I know the basics, but actually understanding those algorithms is far beyond me.

This website is pretty relevant. Post-quantum cryptography is a really big issue, and we need to migrate to it ASAP. https://pqcrypto.org/

2 Likes

Well the consequences are quite hair-raising. But I have decided to start small.
Neilsen and Chuang's text on the subject is quite comprehensive for beginners like me. You might want to have a look at it, if you haven't already

I am actually writing my bachelor thesis on applying NTRU algorithms (Post Quantum Cryptography) on some numerical calculations on matrices (Linear algebra, yikes!), which could give a nice speed increase in computations on special kind of matrices.

I am heavily invested into it from mathematical perspective. There is online a PDF of John H. Silverman - Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography, which I own in printed form, where he talks about the algorithm. I wonder, if there are people who are seriously invested into it.

1 Like

Don't know about you guys, but I'm waiting for Q-Butt computing to hit the mainstream so that I can mine Buttcoins more efficiently.

Your waiting is pointless, for now. We are in the stage of making a 100-200 qubits quantum computer, and I wonder whether it will work, but it won't help you with anything. Sooo :D ... you are "butter" off waiting for new Intel Architecture.

1 Like

Yes, That's the joke.

Thanks for that online PDF. It is so cool!!!

We will need to invent Qubitcoins that worth worth a billion dollars and nothing at the same time.

So we can be broke and one of the fortune 500 people at the same time. And isn't this what life/death superposition is all about.

Very well made video about quantum computing.

I'm sure a lot of you have already seen these, but just in case...

2 Likes

I seriously recommend watching these videos. They hurt your brain, but yeah the satisfaction you get at the end of it is all worth it.