QEMU Unsupported Machine Type 'pc-q35-3.1'

Hello, so I’ve compiled and installed QEMU 3.1.0. But when I go into my config xml file to change the machine type to pc-q35-3.1. I get that error and can’t start the VM in Virt Manager. Using qemu-system-x86_64 --version says QEMU emulator version 3.1.0 so I really don’t know why it isn’t working.

qemu-system-x86_64 -machine help will print out the supported machines, start with that.

Yep, pc-q35-3.1 is in that list.

Can you create a new basic VM with virt-manager, try to boot like Tails or something, and at the end select to customize before install and change the chipset to Q35 and see what it selects? It may end up generating with just “q35” but that machine help command will tell you what machine that references. I just did this with Tails and it created with this machine (for some reason my Windows installation doesn’t want to boot on this version but works on 3.1, might try a fresh install on 4.0).

<os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-4.0'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
  </os>

Also make sure the emulator is pointing to your latest version, mine references the following.

<emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 --version
QEMU emulator version 3.1.50 (v3.1.0-3000-g85ce84489a-dirty)
Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers

Yeah, that was it. When I compiled and installed QEMU, it stuck it in a different folder. It’s working fine now, thanks!