Q: Is Micron 7450 the new Optane?

Got an email from SuperMicro today about the Micron 7450. Took a deeper dive and gosh, they look a lot like Optane.

I’m thinking @wendell could host an 8x15.36TB 7450 build soon? :popcorn:

Screenshot 2022-08-17 133906

3 Likes

They call it the most advanced NAND and then go on to explain it.

Since Micron sold their 3D XPoint plant, pretty sure it is not.

2 Likes

Physically it might not be Optane, but spec-wise? Impressive stuff.

I wonder how much longer it will be till the 232 layer stuff is out, would make this already “old” in their own ranks. I wonder if it differes in speed vs quantity.

Have been taking a look at a 7450 3.84 TB for a while, seems okay for NAND. It’s the second unit I got, the first had died during active operation while writing to it (in total only about 2 TBW).

This second one looks stable.

And? Performance is exceptional? Just ok? Dumpster-fire? :smiley:

1 Like

Expand the quoted area in my previous posting to see the benchmarks.

“Okay” is a rather high praise from me. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • Power loss protection in a M.2 2280 form factor (very rare)
  • Multi-terabyte capacity for the M.2 form factor
  • Excellent performance that basically leaves nothing lacking for anything I’d throw at it

Once it comes down from being about double the cost of other drives, this will make a whole bunch of options outright obsolete for me when it comes to looking for something to put in a future laptop.

4 Likes

Got it - how did you mount the U.3 device to your system? Through a PCIe AIC or did you cable it to a U.2 interace?

The benchmarks were done with the 7450 in an Icy Dock MB699VP-B V2 NVMe backplane, the backplane itself was connected to a Broadcom P411W-32P, an active PCIe Gen4 Switch add-in card.

3 Likes

Pretty swanky! Thanks for sharing.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.