PWM for fans connected to backplane

I recently bought a Chenbro RM31616. which has a 16 port minisas backplane. The 4x 80mm cooling fans are attached to the backplane. There’s a dipswitch to enable/disable PWM, but I’m confused as to how that works. Is there a temperature sensor on the backplane? I’ve been searching high and low for any sort of documentation on the backplane but i haven’t found it yet.

Here’s an ebay listing for the backplane itself: New backplane 384-31620-3100A0 for RM31616 chassis by Chenbro, 12G 16 ports | eBay

The downloads/documentation from Chenbro’s site don’t appear to apply to the backplane in my specific model.

There’s a port here but I don’t think it’s PWM-related:

Here is the dip switch:

Should I just get a PWM controller and connect the fans that way? I’m not wild about connecting all 4 of them to the motherboard. They’re ~10W Delta fans: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/delta-electronics/FFB0812EHE/2560721

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

The JC1 port in your first photo is an I2C port and has indeed nothing to do with fans.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.