PWM fan splice and SATA ampere rating vs molex?

Hi everyone. I am currently thinking about using a SATA 12volt to DC power cable to run a Razer RGB controller that comes with a molex to DC adapter.
Basically I don’t want to add the molex cable to m psu and would like to use one of the SATA cables that are plugged anyway.

So checking the Razer device it seems it might drag up to 5 amps.
Is that something that a SATA connector can do? I kinda doubt that?

As far as i found out, molex can support up to 11 amps.

SATA only 1.5 A per rail. So for my needed 12V it’s waay to low. Am i right?
Seems like the Razer device is really hungry.

The Rgb hub from Bequiet that i planned/intended to use uses only sata to power the RGB plus an Argb header cable (which Mainboard does not have, thus the Razer Controller).

Hmmm
Found this, it’s German but you get what my worries are :sweat_smile:
schadenprisma
https://www.schadenprisma.de › …PDF
Brandgefahr durch Molex-SATA-Adapter in PCs

The SATA-Power Connector contains 15 pins, off which 3x 3.3V, 3x 5V and 3x 12V
Each one of those pins has to be able to supply 1.5A, so 4.5A total per Voltage-Rail.

1 Like

Thank you. Ik that’s not enough current on the SATA rail then to feed that Razer controller hmm.

Another question.
I have 7 fans in my case, all controlled by the little Bequiet case fan hub which gets a pwm from board but only supplies 3 pin connectors for 6 fans.

So i found out that this is not ideal. As pwm can be used to lower the rpm more than just pure voltage control.

So i planned to use the Mainboard fan headers instead to get pwm.
These are rated 36watt 3Amps.
Would you say it’s safe to splice via Y to 3 fans each 0.3 A?

I was wondering that the Asus sage wifi supplies 36W per header vs consumer boards that often only have 12W?

There are fan-hubs that locally use PWM to modulate the supply voltage they forward to the fans.

Depends on the fans. Their datasheet should have numbers regarding power draw.

Fan header implementations on mainboards are all over the place, consult the manual or specifications to make sure you don’t accidentally damage something.

1 Like

Thank you.

Yes IF the manual is correct I should be safe

Header1 “LightWings” 3 x 0.32A = 0.96A

Header2 “Purewings2” 3 x 0.3A =0.9A

Header3 “Silentwings4 high speed” 1 x 0.4A

Header4 Empty.

Anyway even if 3 fans combined had a startup draw of 2 amps. The header would be safe.

I also could splice 8 fans: 2 kabel to 4 headers.

Header supplies 3 A each. Which is pretty unusual No?

1 Like

if it only uses 12v wouldn’t you be better off making an adapter out of a PCI-e cable

@GigaBusterEXE you mean for the RGB hub?
Uhm wait thats good idea. I got tp check out what PCIe plugs supply. But I assume a lot

I would buy an inexpensive pci-e splitter so you don’t have to cut up you cables
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805693286376.html
I would not however endorse using this specific adapter for its original purpose

Can you send me another link maybe? The specific article is blocked in my country. Don’t know why.

https://www.amazon.com/JSER-Express-Female-Extension-Splitter/dp/B075SG2Y4F

again using these for the original purpose is probably a fire starter but as long as you’re handy with a soldering iron cutting this up for a barrel jack should be fine, just keep in mind the polarity

2 Likes

Yes Iam.soldering all kind of things. I will think about it. Plus get my multimeter from the garage.
Point behind all that is that I already have a ton of cables in the case /psu /side panel.

Btw for my fan issue.
I just checked the other trx 50 boards manuals. Seems they have 2Amp fan headers. Plus ARGB.

Makes me feel special now. No ARGB header but 3A fan headers on the Asus yeyy :thinking::sweat_smile:

If you don’t hear back from me within 3 days - a fire took it all down

1 Like

Yes, it is unusual in that the standard is 1A per header, but not completely unheard of.

1 Like

Would be fine then.

Since watercooling got more common, 3A headers have become more common too.

2 Likes

Good point.

Tomorrow the Y fan splice cables will arrive. Maybe on the weekend i will test it then with the fans.
Curious to see if going with PWM is an improvement vs the Bequiet case pcb/fan controller that only uses 3 pin on each fan header.

Anyway - today the Razer Chroma Rgb controller arrived. Software controls my mouse and goliath padbanyway. So i added the fans too.

1st tests for the child in me.

Alright. No fire yet. I use pwm to 3 fan splitter. Asus confirmed this is working.
Took down the Idle rpm a bit. Dead silent from seat position.
Under load i also experienced it’s not ramping up so high.
Iam happy how it worked out so far.

1 Like