putty clipboard copy crashes on Windows

Okay i have a problem with putty.exe on windows: for more than a year now, i can’t remember when i was not crashing when I copy 100+ lines of text with utf-8 characters.

I tried every options available under Terminal/Window/Selection/SSH bugs etc, switched fonts, disabled clipboard auto-copy, and all points to the clipboard conversion of utf-8.

N\nothing else I can do other than copy small portions at a time. Tested version 0.76 0.78 0.85, 64 and 32 bits. All development sites from putty.software to chiark.greenend.org.uk are down right now, I cannot even submit a bug report.

Yes it’s a rant, how come I’m the only one experiencing this? Summary of the crash:

How to reproduce: execute `fwupdmgr get-devices` and select the output. UTF-8 characters like ├─ or • seem to be the suspects.

Reproducible steps:

  1. Connect to a Linux system and run fwupdmgr get-devices (or any command that produces box-drawing characters).

  2. Select more than ~100 lines of that output.

  3. Trigger a copy by any of the following:

    • Auto-copy selected text to system clipboard (enabled)

    • Ctrl+Ins after selection

    • Right-click → Copy (with “Action of mouse buttons” set to Windows)

  4. Crash occurs immediately.

Additional observations:

  • Pure ASCII text of the same length does not crash.

  • Crash happens with multiple fonts (DejaVu Sans Mono, Consolas, Droid Sans Mono, Courier, etc.).

  • Occurs on both 64-bit and 32-bit builds.

  • Reproduced on PuTTY 0.85, 0.78 and 0.76.

  • Windows 10, no third-party clipboard managers.

  • Running as Administrator or with -restrict-acl still crashes (the latter produces a clearer “instruction at 0x… referenced memory at 0x…” message).

  • Disabling auto-copy prevents the crash on selection, but any subsequent explicit Copy action still crashes.

Event Log entry:

Faulting application name: PUTTY.EXE, version: 0.85.0.0, time stamp: 0x6a7eaca6
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2130, time stamp: 0xb5ced1c6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005ace2
Faulting process id: 0x684
Faulting application start time: 0x01dd42cac3f59b38
Faulting application path: E:\wintools\lan\putty\64\PUTTY.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0e2808a1-1944-473f-a487-2da4826cc910
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Please for the love of God, someone tell me I’m not alone

Are you using a Microsoft account?