Put a fan behing 3x optical bay

yes i mean leave the red part where it is to filter dust but put a fan behind it

i did see this on ebay and other places but bad because it just drive dust inside the case

any ideas?

Zip ties are your friend. You can also hunt down some old water cooling hardware like fan brackets. Silverstone and Coolermaster used to have 5.25" bay adapters for conventional 3.5" HDDs that could mount a 120mm fan. Not much of said hardware left unfortunately, as 5.25" bays have fallen out of style.

3 Likes

Like @Melcar said, Cardboard and Zip ties.

Or wood and small angle brackets.

If you have access to a 3D-Printer, that is also an option:

Might have to modify the above to keep the blanks in.

5 Likes

iirc 140mm will just barely fit, but if OP is looking to not have to modify the slot covers a recessed 120mm is definitely the way to go. Don’t waste too much time and effort on vintage parts when 3D printing is cheap and accessible.

1 Like

You can buy better drive bay / fan adapters:

This was a topic before:

2 Likes

Zipties…
Me and a friend of mine have done that on an old Zalman case… Zipties to the optical drive cage.

2 Likes

Sort of the opposite of a 3d printer but Ive gotten a lot of use out of plastic cutting boards. They come in so many colors and thicknesses. Its easy to stencil and cut brackets or carve down and/or sculpt parts out of them to suit.

1 Like

I just stuck one in with blutac

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies, I go some idea how to solve this :grinning:

other than mounting it, there are no issues.
i did it back in 2012 :smiley: worked great.

you might wanna invest in a magnetic dust cover for it though… is it will drag in a lot of dust if you dont.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.