Pump/rad combo & case mounting advice needed

question would the chosen airplex rad/pump combo for my little sledge hammer build

fit at the back of this cougar airface mid tower

if mounted with a single 140mm fan

in the pull config or would it need the 140mm x 140mm x 20mm shroud between it an the pump/rad to be mounted

an would the Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity 140 mm Radiator with D5 pump | Aluminum (33005)

be adequate for decently cooling the 3900x if oc’ed to 4.2

I suspect the D5 pump would be too tall for this case. Also, you’d need to position the radiator so that the pump is at the top, which is not ideal. It makes it much more likely an air pocket will envelop the pump head, which would let it run without lubrication, which will destroy it fairly quickly. A DDC version would probably fit though. If that bracket at the top of the case interferes with the radiator you could just put the fan between the rad and the case wall, which would give plenty of room, so I wouldn’t worry about that aspect of it.

Yes, a 140mm radiator that thick is more than enough cooling for even a heavily overclocked 3900X. I run an overclocked 7950X and an overclocked 6900XT on a similarly sized 140mm radiator and they stay well cool.

If you’re only going to be cooling the CPU though, why not simply get an AIO? The fit and install will be much simpler. Something like the Corsair H90 would be more than capable of keeping your 3900X cool. Alternatively, do a normal 140mm radiator and use the Barrow CPU block/pump-reservoir combo. Or just an air cooler, something like the NH-D15 ought to fit just fine in this case, and in performance it’s about comparable to a 140mm water cooler.

iv got my reasons for not going with normal aio, but do you think the airplex would fit at the back with the pump at postion with the 20mm shroud between it an the case or would it need to be thicker then 20mm for the pump head to clear

I think the pump may make the radiator too tall to fit in this case. A shroud wouldn’t help with that. It either fits or it doesn’t. What you could do to guarantee a fit is use the Barrow pump block combo instead of this radiator pump combo, or get a radiator pump combo with a DDC instead of a D5.

1 Like

ok ill look into that

does the alphacool-eisbaer-extreme-liquid-cooler-core-280-black-edition have an integrated
pump an all id have to do is add cpu block an tubing an some coolant would this fit in the top of the case without whacking into the ram sticks

Yes, this does have an integrated pump. But it looks like the overhang for the pump makes it too large to fit.

Pump+Radiator combos are tricky to fit for a reason. AIOs with this layout do it by hiding the pump behind the hub of the fan, but shoving it into the top of the radiator like this makes it much taller. A standard 280mm radiator would fit in both the front and the top of this case though, which you could combine with a pump+block combination to make an easy loop. That’s how my server setup worked before I swapped it to a low profile air cooler to make room for more disks.

heres a idea do you think this would work to put the airpkex on the top at the front 140mm spot like this

an config as pull along with the rear top as intake an rear as exhaust with fronts as intake

i normally use so good filter mesh on my intakes for my rads an use a shopvac to suck clean once a month

No, this almost definitely won’t work. It’s not often you can fit a normal radiator in sideways like this, let alone one with a D5 pump sticking out the back.
Can you tell me why you won’t consider a standard radiator with one of these combination CPU blocks+pumps instead?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004669763960.html
It’ll be the same amount of components, but you won’t need to install shrouds or struggle with fitting an oversized radiator in anywhere. I have this model pump block myself, it works great.

main because iv already got the airplex as it was left over from a previous build an still works great an instead of getting newer an diff just to be able to use it in this case an as for why mounting top an or rear

thats just were i normally mount but id go for a front mount if that would work even if it would cover some of the 2nd front fan

You could put your 140mm radiator in the top, it’ll fit easily that way. You may even be able to fit a120mm fan next to it if you want, but there’s no need if you put the 140 in the rear as an intake. It’ll give plenty of circulation over the VRMs, memory, chipset and M.2 SSDs on its own. Another option is the 280 in the front and simply cutting a hole into the bottom of the case to fit the overhang into.

1 Like

ill consider that, for now ill wait for the case to arrive an then play around with positioning to see what will do if not ill get a new an diff rad an the post updates