Pulseaudio no longer autodetects my onboard ports

I have a hard time explaining the issue so I have had limited results from googling my issue. What is happening is that all of the analog ports for my onboard audio are listed as unplugged and unavailable no matter what. I don’t use hdmi audio so I have my gpu audio ports disabled in PAVU.

So what happens now is that at startup my audio output will always default to the digital optical output on the back that I don’t use or have anything plugged in to. I can force it to use the correct outputs by selecting them in PAVU (Analog stereo output) but the bigger issue is that headphone detection is gone.

before this stopped working I could plug in my headphones to the front ports and it would automatically switch to them and disable the speakers. now I have to manually tell it to use the headphones except that now when I do that it will play out on the headphones and speakers at the same time. I have to physically turn off my speakers to deal with this. it’s all very frustrating and I have yet to find a real answer as to getting it back to working normally.

I think I’ve made an important discovery but I don’t know what to do with it. Pulse and Alsa report my onboard sound as ALC892 but lspci reports it as ALC898. could this be why it’s no longer working correctly? if so how do I fix it?

Which is correct audio codec for your hardware - ALC892 or ALC898 ?

suggest, if Pulseaudio has updated recently, clear home folder configuration:

rm -r ~/.config/pulse/

then restart Pulseaudio to generate new configuration

use speaker-test to see if audio will play via ALSA without Pulseaudio
If no sound with ALSA alone use alsa-info.sh to get detailed audio hardware information

It took a bit to find but it appears that my motherboard should have ALC892 so ALSA is correct. Pulse hasn’t updated in a few months but some parts of alsa have updated more recently. I think I didn’t state this well.

I can get my system to put sound out to my headphones or speakers but I have to manually set it in pavucontrol at startup every time. I also have to turn off my speakers when using headphones because it plays out to both otherwise. essentially they work if I force it, but pulse doesn’t think they work and doesn’t detect when I plug something in on them.

I found someone with nearly exactly the same issue as me, only problem is the solution they used doesn’t actually fix the problem its a bandaid that won’t work for me.