PSU tick sound

I have a Corsair RM850x 2021 PSU powering a Ryzen 5800x and a GTX 960 with an Asus B550-F Gaming motherboard.
Every time I turn on the PC I hear a tick sound once when my MB’s status LED’s are changing righy before getting it to post and once again when I turn it off. I don’t hear that sound otherwise on idle or under load.
I checked my cables and everything seems to be correctly plugged in and I have no cables in the way of my fans so I don’t think I’m confusing the sounds.
Is my PC okay or should I replace my PSU?
Edit: I should also mention that I didn’t hear that sound when I couldn’t get the machine to post, it just occurs when booting correctly.

I think that’s just the relay.

1 Like

Could be the relay on a circuit called “soft start”
Source

Video explaining how a Softstarter works in detail

3 Likes

If it’s the relay is it safe to hear that tick on startup/turn off?

1 Like

Yeah, my psu does that too.

1 Like

Yes. I have a standard PSU and an SFX one and they both click when the system powers on. It is totally normal to hear it.
The one that’s in my Seasonic Focus 750 Gold reverberates inside the PSU case, while the one in my Corsair SF600 Platinum is much more gentle but still very audible.
You can enjoy your system and not worry about this.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.