PSU Question

Sorry if this is a bad question but how do I know if the PSU I’m looking at is compatible with my motherboard, both PSU I listed below have 24 pin connectors but the Thermaltake below is optimized for the Intel processor. Does it work with threadripper?
I have a ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha TRX40 and a choice of
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W or Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W

I checked my components and It looks like I’m around 741 Watts

thanks

Yes it should basically work, but i´m personally not really the biggest fan of Thermaltake psu’s.
Although i´m not fully sure which brand of the board that particular psu has inside.
Because Thermaltake does not build their own psu´s of course. :wink:
But i could try to look that up eventually.

The EVGA SuperNova 850W G3 should be a pretty good unit in that regards.
Another brand that i could highly recommend is Seasonic.
Something like the Seasonic Focus Gold 850W or the 1000W unit,
if you prefer a little bit more headroom, would be a good choice as well.

In my opinion Seasonic is one of the best brands in regards to psu’s.
They also provide the boards for many higherend units from other brands as well.

2 Likes

The Thermaltake psu is a CWT unit.
It does not look like a bad unit based on the board spec’s.

The EVGA Supernova G3 is a super flower unit.

Thanks for looking it up! What does CWT stand for and does it matter if the Thermaltake is optimize for AMD when Im using a Threadripper?

CWT Channel Well Technology is the actual manufacturer of the circuit board,
inside the Thermal take psu.
Based on what i can see it looks like a decent board.
But Thermaltake did had a few not so great units in the past.

The optimization they talk about is just a standard.
But that’s basically fine.

I’m personally more a fan of Seasonic units.
But that is of course just me. :slight_smile:

Not long ago I would tell you that 850W good PSU will be fine. But lately seems NVIDIA is not giving two sh** about their specified power draws, so you can get sometimes overshoots of over 25%. Which is crazy IMO, and nobody really is talking about.
AMD had some snafu with PCIe draw going over few watts, few years ago, and I could hear everywhere about it. Now I see card thats supposed to be 320W going over 400W, and gets just small mention on Gamers Nexus.
And that goes hand to hand with PSU manufacturer “recomendations”. Its like going to snake oil doctor asking for remedy.

And what I meant to say, ATX is the standard, “Intel” optimized is just marketing BS :wink: With some caveats.

+1 for Seasonic. Got two rebranded by Corsair like maybe 10 years ago (I was lucky), but still using first one :slight_smile:
I was wandering back then why those two PSUs draw 20W less power than any other I tested. Then after few years I found out that Seasonic made one or two models for Corsair.

ok, So the optimization won’t affect the Threadripper performance? I found the Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W for 129.99 and the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W for 169.00

Seems like noisy PSU

Seems ok. But Im not sure how trustworthy Tom’s Hardware is nowdays. I would look for second source.

Usually with cheaper PSU brands you have russian roulette, but with 5 bullets in the drum :wink:

1 Like

No. :slight_smile:

Maybe you might want consider a higher wattage unit,
if you ever think about future expendability,
like a second gpu for example or what not.

Is there a model you would recommend?

I’m not sure how the stocks are currently in the US.
According to partpicker there don’t seem to be that much in stock.
The Seasonic Focus Plus Gold series are pretty good ones.

Just to clarify some things…

In the computer hardware world there are very few manufacturers. Usually the brand’s we see use already manufactured parts and slap a sticker with their name on it.
It’s the same with the power supply units.
The companies, that actually manufacture their own power supplies are Seasonic, Super Flower, FSP (Fortron), Delta, CWT (Channel Well Technologies) and maybe some other smaller brand, but those are the big ones.
For example Thermaltake goes to Seasonic and says “we want a PSU with those specs”. Then they go to FSP, to CWT and ask for the same specs. And those companies offer Thermaltake models and prices. Thermaltake chooses one, puts it in a metal case and adds a sticker.
Same thing happens with EVGA, Corsair, NZXT, Enermax, etc etc.

Should I be concerned with nividea power draw as stated above? and go to the EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1,1000 G3, 80 Plus Gold 1000W.

What GPU are you planning on using? If your load is mostly cpu then 850w is fine. If you are rendering or gaming then consider higher wattage.

It may also depend on other components in the system. Are you water-cooling? Will there be loads of hard disks etc.

Try using pcpartpicker with your full spec for a reasonable estimate.

I added more case fans and my wattage is up to 770. I’m still under the 850 but do I need to be concerned with additional wattage usage above the manufactures listed maximums?

Always go higher than any recommendations. Power surges will occur, past listed TDP operations, for likes of CPU / GPU, but is at an overall small% runtime [also, any Boost/OCs, regardless being manual/automatic setting, are additional power demands]. Nice perk to larger PSUs, are they host longer warranty spans , alongside greater peripheral support

1 Like

I was going to buy the Corsair AX1000 but the price is high right now. I found an EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1,1000 G3, 80 Plus Gold and the reviews show it is descent with good ripple. I don’t see any reviews about the Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 or Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX 1000W 80+ Gold. Any recommendation would help. Thanks

AMD had this problem with, I believe, Fury X? and Vega 64, just not as much so as nVidia. It was enough of a problem to trip up some fairly modern power supply designed with strict OCP.

@froissart
If you’re curious about how good a power supply is, try

It’s a fast and dirty list of stuff to get and stuff to avoid.
SeaSonic is one of the most reputable OEMs for power supplies, and has relatively few units with poor designs. CWT is, iirc, a bit more of a mixed bag, but has some excellent designs on the high end, and it’s mostly down to the brand specifications. SuperFlower had some amazing success with their GoldenGreen platform, which I believe the EVGA Supernovas use. Good stuff there.

With that said, I think the big problem with Thermaltake is they tend to use the exact same branding, packaging, and on-the-box specifications for completely different internal units. I actually remember that back in 2010? or so, there was some drama where they sent a power supply for review and rating, and then sold a completely different power supply on the same branding and on-the-box specifications to the market, lying about it passing certification, and citing reviews that were based on the original, much higher spec sample.
I can’t find information on it anymore, much like I can’t find the lulzy bargraphs on techpowerup GPU reviews that had 720p results with AMD and nVidia GPUs grouped together in two different performance categories because AMD drivers at the time were really bad in this or that game, so take it with a grain of salt, but I wouldn’t trust them, even if the unit you’re buying is supposedly good.

Ok Thermaltake is out. Im looking at these

Corsair AX1000 (Priced too high right now)
EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1,1000 G3 80 Plus Gold
Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 or
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX 1000W 80+ Gold

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.