PSU explosion

Leave the PSU alone and just take it back. BeQuiet has a very good rep and you should have no problems. Look at getting a good UPS to filter your line(s). If you want something other than BeQuiet look at the EVGA G2/G3 lines. Excellent quality and frequently on sale.

Probably capacitors like others have already mentioned.
If you are handy with a solder iron, you could replace them of course.
But it could also be that other components are damaged.

What the cause of the failure is, is anybodies guess.
I would say its just a matter of bad luck most likely.

I have heard of older caps blowing but never anything dramatic.
Also older caps with wound paper and foil. The paper swells and expands and there is a pop and a puff of smoke.

1 Like

I just installed a new PSU. Everything working except for 1 SSD. Not sure if it’s damaged the SSD, the SATA cable, SATA socket.
The only thing I had stored there were proton games so I can live with that.

I guess I’ll need to find a UPS.

2 Likes

Got any pictures of it?!

1 Like

The PSU?

Yeah be good to see and tell you what blew up. Inside will be more useful, if you are comfortable opening it.

2 Likes

Sounds like it ended up as good as it could have. I’ve had plenty of 80+ PSUs pop on client machines for one reason or another. Usually nothing else is damaged but we have lost a few mobos over the years. Be Quiet normally has pretty quality products but like others have said things happen and caps fail.

1 Like

“95% of all product defects are caught in production, another 95% are caught in QA. However when we saw your name, we just sent the first unit that sat in the fuck-it-bucket.” - Pissed of service person I once was on the phone with

2 Likes

Companies always fill people with BS numbers for their service people to wave in front of people. Gotta make sure their name isn’t dragged through the mud even though a lot of companies have a very high hardware failure rate. I.E. ALL the OEMs that use Foxconn motherboards.

Same. I want to see the aftermath. Perhaps this would be good for the tech cringe thread

Well it looks disappointing to me, but go for it:

1 Like

I was expecting char everywhere :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahh yeah me 2, can’t even see where something flamed out!

Thanks for following up and posting the pics though!

I could smell the burning it after it happened, but not as strong as I expected.

that was a winding to winding short in the transformer. you are lucky if it hasn’t damaged much else.
these type of shorts occur for 2 reasons
insulation damage from excessive heat over a period of time or mechanical damage to the insulation during winding.
caps usually blow when a spike exceeds the max rating for too long a time.

just get in there and touch the leads of all the big cylinders on the underside of the board to make sure the solder joints are solid

(please don’t actually do this)

Even if its an old thread, I just had to mention that the PSU had 3 Years Warranty, so you chould have send it in for a replacement, if you didn’t lost your receit of the PSU…

Weird/extraordinary failures are also something manufacturers are really interested in - to investigate it and, if necessary, modify the design or components to prevent such occurances from happening in the future…

1 Like