PSA: Unlimited Google Drive Changes, $20/user/mo

Google is rebranding G Suite to Google Workspace.

The business tiers are now: 30GB, 2TB and 5TB per user. Pricing is $6, $12 and $18/mo respectively. There is also an enterprise edition that requires 300 users. Enterprise editions allow over 300 users. The wording was confusing to me. Enterprise Standard is $20/user/mo and includes unlimited storage.

1 Like

Thanks, @LinusTech.

Put this in your TechLinked :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

and covid probably

Nope. “There is no minimum or maximum user limit for Enterprise plans.”

It is the non-enterprise editions that max out at 300 users.

2 Likes

Seems to be $20/user for the enterprise basic with unlimited storage, and no min users.

I added the #disappointment tag

4 Likes

Yeah, from a quick read, it doesn’t look like the end.

I’ll wait for Google to contact me.
8 bucks more is nothing. Especially if it’s actually unlimited with no minimum amount of users.

Ok yeah, confirmed Enterprise Standard is $20/user/month with unlimited storage. phew…

unlimited, $20 for one user …tempting

Yeah, I don’t really understand the rationale. It was $12/user/mo for unlimited storage with a minimum of 5 users (although I heard that user minimum was never enforced?). Now it’s $20/user/mo with no user minimum which seems like it would encourage individual data hoarders and discourage businesses…

1 Like

Google often changes or kills things, popular or not. Their thought process might be controlled by the same crazy algorithm that serves up obscure video recommendations on youtube,

2 Likes

To be fair, the “Korean Street Food” videos were pretty yum… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Talking to Google Support:

Reading more about Workspace, it looks like my current G Suite Business contract will be honored through Jan 1, is that correct? The new terms will only take effect on contract renewal?

Not exactly! The terms and all yes. But the storage limitations and all will indeed take place in the next 1 or 2 weeks.

7 Likes

So they are going to enforce the 5 user for unlimited storage on G-suite for business in 1-2 weeks?

I am still trying to get some clarity, but it sounds like the 2tb or 5tb Google Workspace Business limitation will be enforced in 1-2 weeks on current G Suite Business accounts (so they will no longer be unlimited).

So basically, sometime in the next week or two, if you’re over the storage limit, you will cease to receive emails or be able to add any new files to Google Drive (until you clear out some space).

Or just upgrade to the new Enterprise standard?

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, I plan to do that, but when you go to purchase it in the admin console, it just sets your account to upgrade on renewal, so I guess I need to talk to a sales rep to upgrade my current subscription now.

Also possible this support rep is confused… everything else I’m seeing is indicating that the new storage terms don’t apply until current contracts run out. Talking to a reseller separately and they are definitely under that impression as well.

Interesting. Please post an update when you know more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spoke to a new rep. They said current contracts are honored until renewal, so if you have an annual sub, you’ll just want to upgrade on renewal. Based on my interaction with the first rep, I think they didn’t understand what I was asking and/or they’re a moron.

Also, the reseller indicated that storage quotas are now pooled and not specific to users. So I guess if you start a Business Standard account with 5 users, you’ll have 10TB of storage across all accounts.

Personally, I don’t know if I like that because if one user eats up a lot of space quickly, you risk locking up the entire organization, but whatever. Pretty sure all my clients will need to go with Enterprise Standard so I’m not going to worry about it.

1 Like

I get billed monthly, so I’m gonna upgrade to Enterprise standard before November 1st.
It’s only me, no other users. So if storage is pooled, it ain’t gonna be a problem.
But Enterprise Standard is unlimited with 1 user. So yeah, everything gonna be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like