PSA: Do not use OpenOffice. Libreoffice is the actively maintained alternative

If you are looking for a MS Office alternative you should use Libreoffice as OpenOffice is not being properly maintained.

The openoffice commit history is here:

If you take a look at the commit history, it is mostly just fluff and only a handful are useful commits.

By comparison, Libreoffice is worked on heavily and has a much healthier organization behind it.

For instance, the commit history actually has useful commits.

You also can see that the bug tracker is much more active

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/q/status:open+-is:wip

2 Likes

I pivoted to OnlyOffice a few years back but its janky so I had a change of heart but decided to double down on FOSS so I used LOffice even at work. Google/GSuite dont mind the interoperability but of course MSOffice, the primadona dont want to cooperate.

1 Like

Ah yes, Apache, that most “terrible” of organizations…? :thinking:

Its apache foundation now, but guess who held openoffice before them?

Saint patron of open source, Oracle :wink:

Oracle had zero intention to continue development, so fork happened pretty much immediately in 2010 and everyone, both users and developers moved to libreoffice.

Here is nice visualization from wiki:

3 Likes

OnlyOffice if everyone you communicate with is on MS Office.
LibreOffice if everyone you communicate with is on Google Docs.

5 Likes

LibreOffice is a fork of the same codebase I thought?

I mean that argument is kind of reductive, just because code came from a shitty company doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t be useful.

It is true that LibreOffice > Apache OpenOffice, I was just joking around in my first post.

Heh, I am not saying anything about code usability, I am clarifying why openoffice is near dead and why (and for how long).

This is reaction to OP

If you are looking for a MS Office alternative you should use Libreoffice as OpenOffice is not being properly maintained.

OO has been in near zombie state for more than a decade already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you are confusing OpenOffice with Apache OpenOffice which is the repo linked to in the original post.

Although OpenOffice was indeed discontinued over a decade ago, the last release of the (confusingly named) Apache fork was in Q4 2023! Announcing Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15

The Apache fork only seems to have a few developers, and this has been the case for quite some time (probably close to a decade now). However, it does appear to be actively maintained.

As to whether or not these commits are “fluff”, I cannot say, as I tend to use LO like the rest of the world.

Hem, hem

“Openoffice” does not exist, it was transferred by oracle in 2011 to apache foundation after libreoofice exodus and layoff of remaing devs, hence “apache openoffice”.

Development wise it changed little, all relevant mindshare has setted at libreoffice.

I just think “because Oracle bad” is a poor argument. Does this mean NFS has also fallen out of favour? :thinking:

If you have dealt with them profesionally before, then yes, its the reddest flag of all.

They do not behave like an business partner, but as an extortionist generally. You would be mad to enter into relationship with them willingly, unless you have no choice.

It just sad that they were the ones to pick up suns legacy off the pavement, instead of pretty much anyone else.

3 Likes

I admire your youthful idealism. Yes, bigger company badder!

I’m not interested in arguing the finer points of capitalism with you, so I’ll see myself out on this one.

I’ve personal never had an issue

I did not say Oracle was bad. (Although they are) The problem is that Openoffice as it is right now is not being properly maintained.

Neither Libreoffice nor Openoffice is being run by a company. For commercial support you should check out Collabora.

I also did not mention capitalism so I am not sure where you are getting that from.