Ps2 emulation on Linux (PCSX2)

I recently did a fresh install of Mint 17.3 on my desktop and I've been trying to install PCSX2. I am starting to get angry while installing PCSX2 as it keeps on removing necessary cinnamon components. What's going on here?
The repository I added was the one from their launchpad page "ppa:gregory-hainaut/pcsx2.official.ppa"

...yeah i did this 2 weeks ago.
PPA files aren't correct. You gotta get a other source for them.

I did by a mate who wasn't good with Linux this

and i got it to work.

1 Like

I will not get the same performance if a build it from github?

@The_Cable

I'll try this after I try compiling it manually. Do you know why this site recommends installing the unstable version?

@The_Cable
The install from that repository still wanted to remove cinnamon :(

Never done much installing from source. Will take me a while to finger out. I'm going to download Ubuntu 16.04 and fix all of this anarchy!

I realized I had to install cmake. I don't know much of what this is telling me.

Compiling the C compiler identification source file "CMakeCCompilerId.c" failed.
Compiler: /usr/bin/cc -m32
Build flags:
Id flags:

The output was:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc_s.so when searching for -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc_s.so when searching for -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
Compiler: c++ -m32
Build flags:
Id flags:

The output was:
No such file or directory

Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
Compiler: c++ -m32
Build flags:
Id flags: -c

The output was:
No such file or directory

Checking whether the CXX compiler is IAR using "" did not match "IAR .+ Compiler":
Determining if the C compiler works failed with the following output:
Change Dir: /home/chris/pcsx2/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:/usr/bin/make "cmTryCompileExec2021687480/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2021687480.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2021687480.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory /home/chris/pcsx2/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /home/chris/pcsx2/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2021687480.dir/testCCompiler.c.o
/usr/bin/cc -m32 -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2021687480.dir/testCCompiler.c.o -c /home/chris/pcsx2/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c
Linking C executable cmTryCompileExec2021687480
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2021687480.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
/usr/bin/cc -m32 CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2021687480.dir/testCCompiler.c.o -o cmTryCompileExec2021687480 -rdynamic
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: Leaving directory
/home/chris/pcsx2/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make[1]: *** [cmTryCompileExec2021687480] Error 1
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec2021687480/fast] Error 2

*sorry if I'm not seeing it but I couldn't find any or tags

Thank you very much for all your help

Got it fixed when I installed Ubuntu 16.04.... It was rough because I had 2mb download, I would say that's a first world country problem but most of the civilized world has faster internet :'(

Looks like I'll be reliving my child hood into the early hours of the morning :D

Thanks for everyones help. Have a great day!

1 Like

oh wait serious? did not knew that.

Well there 1 one reason why i like the repo over the source. Because if you don't do much Linux and you use the source version it doesn't upgrade itself automatic.
I know from my past experience that updating Linux distro usual cost things to break specially with pcsx2 in Fedora.

But good to hear you finished it have fun!