Proxmox Updates - is it free?

Hello there,
I have been using KVM for through the CLI for a while now, but the need arose for others to be able to easily manage the guests through a web GUI, so I am trying out Proxmox. Installing it and getting a VM to act as a template to clone from was a doddle, however I am concerned about just how “free” it is.

I understand it runs on top of Debian which is great because I love Debian, but when I update, I get the following message:

Reading package lists… Done
E: The repository ‘https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch Release’ does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Also, when I log in, I get this message:

Selection_062

Can I continue to use proxmox as is and get just the essential security updates and not worry about it falling over or is there the likelihood that if I dont pay to get access to the enterprise repository that I might wake up one day with having lost access to all my VMs because some update didnt get applied?

Proxmox has an enterprise repository, for which you need a license. You can safely comment out the repo if you don’t need it. You’ll still get updates from the regular repository.

Note that proxmox doesn’t support upgrades via apt-get upgrade. You will destroy your installation if you do that. Always use apt-get dist-upgrade

As far as the login message goes, you can get rid of if by editing a code file. Here’s a handy script I found that does it for you

sed -i.bak ‘s/NotFound/Active/g’ /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Subscription.pm && systemctl restart pveproxy.service

1 Like

I have been using apt-get upgrade for years… hell I updated my proxmox last night with apt-get update and then upgrade

It’s not officially supported. I’ve had my install break on two occasions when I accidentally used upgrade.

Cool, thank you all for the help.

I will disable the notice and the enterprise repository.

For updates, I only use sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade so I should be fine it looks like.

I have it automatically backing up all the VMs to an external server over NFS every night, so even if the stuff hit the fan I should be able to install proxmox and restore them in theory…

If you haven’t already, take a look at this page. With good backups, you may want to use the pve-no-subscription repo.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories

1 Like

Has nothing to do with backups, if you don’t pay a subscription you definitely want the no-subscription repo.

Has nothing to do with backups, if you don’t pay a subscription you definitely want the no-subscription repo.

Wow, thanks for that. I hadn’t picked up on the fact that I needed to enable another repository. I have added

deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription

… to a new file at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-subscription.list.

I then commented out the line in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list file in order to disable that repository.

Thanks, just did that by hand, replacing NotFound with Active in the /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Subscription.pm file after copying it to a .bak file. Then restarted the service and no longer getting the notification. :+1: