Proxmox SR-IOV now that RADEON MI25 are cheap as chips

The RADEON MI25 is basically a 16GB VEGA 64 with no video outputs that can handle SR-IOV and it’s cheaper than a VEGA. I see one on ebay for £150.

Perhaps I should pop it in my Proxmox machine and shared it with Windows VMs using SR-IOV? I see that Microsoft Azure say this;

NVv4-series VM sizes optimized and designed for VDI and remote visualization. With partitioned GPUs, NVv4 offers the right size for workloads requiring smaller GPU resources. These VMs are backed by the AMD Radeon Instinct MI25 GPU. NVv4 VMs currently support only Windows guest operating system.

Azure using MI25 in a Windows VM for gaming.

Anyone tried this? Any suggestions?

4 Likes

I’m not sure. But, I don’t think it’d hurt to experiment if you’re okay with 150 EUR of uncertainty. I’d personally be interested in if it could be used in a macOS VM, but that’s unrelated. I currently have the Radeon Pro v320, not sure if I can even split it.

1 Like

I saw this video a week back

Would still be keen to follow if you give it a go

2 Likes

/necro, but i’m feeling like dropping $150 on one and seeing what I can do
if not SR-IOV, wonder if I can make it work as a normal GPU with a full PCI passthrough

1 Like

From 2 years ago it sounds like a no go - https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/eqvn9z/amd_mxgpu_or_sriov/fo3yzhc/. At the very least that thread has the linfo you need ot figure out if it works now.

I’m talking about using the whole gpu for one VM, not any vfio or mxgpu or anything. I’ve got a tesla P4 that’s being wasted as a nvenc encoder but it does do that job well.
lets say I get a MI25, pass it through to a linux vm with a xorg and desktop, would it be able to provide 3d acceleration? or would I be better off getting a nvidia card

I wouldn’t mind getting one just as a display, if it doesn’t work out the way I want, $150 isn’t that much for a GPU in my case

1 Like

Yes, I have been watching how Jeff got on. It looks like AMD made it unnecessarily difficult. Jeff had a beer and went back to Nvidia with great success.

1 Like

I’ve passed through an ATi HD5970 card which is two GPUs using Proxmox on RYZEN 7 X370 and that worked fine.
If you’re simply passing it through then the brand of GPU does not matter.
However I don’t know what an MI25 is like as a GPU. I Think it’s a VEGA 64 but you may as well buy a VEGA which are less than £200 now.

1 Like

Id do that, that way you dont have to worry about cooling the passive card

1 Like

Vega VII should be MI25+video out.
But AMD took out SR-IOV and nerfed FP64 on Vega VII.

1 Like

SR-IOV is something we should have. I just tried creating a VM for a game called odd Giants for my woman who is mad on it. It was on Linux Lite and I passed it through as a Proxmox VM using RDP, that’s xrdc then Remmina. It was unusable :frowning:

I tried the same thing but using my desktop PC which has a graphics card and it was playable. Not amazing over WiFi but it got the job done.

Basically without a GPU then ProxMox VMs desktop VMs are crippled. A desktop without a GPU is like a car with no turbo, no use to anyone.

We really must have GPU power in our VMs. I’m not prepared to provide a GPU per VM.

If Intel wanted to find a market for Arc then send the cards out with SR-IOV. We’ll figure it out from there.

2 Likes

I’ve got servers to stick it in, so it’s no problem

1 Like

Maybe we should send them a petition for the 3rd generation of Intel Arc cards - throw in SR-IOV for select home server host models?..

1 Like

Rumor is the MI25 will do anything a WX9100 can do… except having 6 displays connected. Look at that card for potential answers.
Bought one myself to find out.

3 Likes

He uncharacteristicly gave up without diseminating anything useful.

3 Likes

Does the Radeon pro WX9100 have the support you want? Flash it’s vBIOS on one.

Guess I forgot to mention that I did flash a WX9100 vBIOS onto an MI25 and it’s working like I’d expect… just fine.

2 Likes

That’s not bad for an $86 VEGA 64 effectively.
About £120 once I have it in the UK but then I could buy a VEGA 56 for £160 so the advantage diminishes.

Does having the WX9100 vBIOS allow SR-IOV?

1 Like

No idea. I might play with that at some point, but no plan to right now. If the WX9100 supports it well, I’m betting this would too.

It does not look like the WX9100 supports SR-IOV.