Proxmox - Dual EPYC 7B13 CPUs shutting down under certain loads

first,
you did a beautiful flow vane/3D print to the VRMs.
Quite impressed.
Really really impressed.

While I do not have that specific board as my personal PC, I do have extensive experience with running those boards as a workstation and not in a rack.

I will suggest two things that your first response is going to be that you have already done that, however please look at the detail and ascertain which parts apply.

Bios, heatsinks, substrate, power.

In the bios: don’t limit performance, open it up and don’t focus on limiting any power, cycles, cache, XGMI or any of those things.

Heatsinks.
The cpu needs to have a heatsink that covers the whole metal lid of the cpus. Edge to edge minimum. The heatsinks in your design are “not the best” I’ve tried them and they were at best borderline at absorbing the hotspots on the cpu.

Heatsinks:
the VRM Mosfet etc needs a substrate TIM such as Gelid Ultimate and make full contact to a much larger heatsink than the factory MB that was provided.

That MB is expecting a rackmount case worth of continuous airflow over all the MB and the MB has other critical hotspots beyond just the cpu and VRAM, such as the gigabit chip that get s 70C toasty and will cause a shutdown/lockup

Consider larger VRAM heatsinks and heatsink any of the smaller heat sources on the board.

Power, beyond the 24pin, sometimes power supplies are flaky on the dual 8 pin connectors and inconsistent on delivery, consider using single rail power to mitigate any potential drops.

I have (for my wife) a loaded dual 7773X on gigabyte MZ72-HB0 and mine is a dual 9684X on gigabyte MZ73-LM0

Please review the thread:
the ZEN of Air-cooling and see if some of the methods listed my help you.

where I had to cool and run whisper quiet dual 9684x, dual 4090s, and 24 dimms if DDR5 and very hot server nvme express drives.

Please review the additional heatsinks provided in a similar set up, look at all the chip/heat source mitigation on this board in order to run as a home workstation, not in a rack

Please look at the VRAM and Mosfet mitigation:

also please consider your LAN chip heatsinks mitigation in the thread link above.

I’m interested in helping you, please let me work with you to solve your issue.

3 Likes