Proxmox Boot Issue on X10SRi-F

*Solved. I didn’t have UEFI boot enabled. How embarrassing.

I am attempting to instal Proxmox in a ZFS Mirror on my Supermicro X10SRi-F, this is potentially an important factor, and I can’t seem to get it to boot into Proxmox.

I have a feeling there is some “issue” between BIOS settings, legacy vs UEFI, or some boot manager issue I am just not familiar with as I am not very smart on UEFI - I mostly have no idea how to use it beyond “it worked” or “It isn’t working”. I am able to boot off a USB stick, get it installed, but once I reboot, the system sees no bootable devices and will cycle through all boot options until it runs out asking me to reboot and select or insert proper media.

The reason I bring up the motherboard, it “supports” NVMe boot, and “supports” bifurcation (quotes on those because only the latest BIOS enabled these features, and there is not a lot of documentation as a result). I am using a supermicro aoc-slg3-2m2 PCIe card which has 2x nvme slots. I have been using this card with this mobo for over a year with a single boot drive without issue, running Proxmox and have been very happy. But I have decided to move to a mirrored boot drive for high availability and I just can’t get it to work. It took some tries to get bifurcation to work, but I was able to get both drives to show up in the Proxmox instal GUI, so theoretically it is formating them correctly.

Is there a correct assumption of “if it does see both drives in the installer, there should be a way to get it to boot from them”? Or is this not actually always a true statement?

1 Like