Proxmox and mineos VM

Hey, I just setted up a MineOS vm. But I have been strugling with the network configuration. I already looked into the admin manual, but no help.

where the enxe61f13 interface is for the IPMI/IMM

All of the physical interfaces are located on a 192.168.1.1/24 network with the first address being the default gatewat/dns server.

VM network config
And I haven’t played around with the firewall. I was following this tutorial

But the host doesn’t setup any port forwarding there at least. I would like to access the webGUI of that VM on a seperate desktop. Any ideas or good hints?

your hosts config is not good. do you have any other VMs on this system? do they work?

the bridge should have the gateway. also make sure your proxmox firewall is off. (you can use it AFTER things are working if you want, i dont)

my network supports VLANS but that is not needed at all so just ignore the YES in my screenshot under VLANS.

when i have some time i will write up a linux bridge NIC guide. there seems to always be questions about this stuff.

1 Like

This is the first one I am trying to deploy.

Sorry to ask this, but I didn’t really find a answer where it should lead? Assuming I am using a totally different address space compared to the actual LAN for the brigde stuff (172.16.x.x) compared to 192.168.1.x.

where is the router that will be handling 172.16.x.x traffic? usually it will be something like 172.16.1.254. someone should know what it is, if this is a home lab then you would have had to have enabled the router on that network. Just like how 192.168.1.1 is the router for the 192 space.

also if you are using multiple networks you should use VLANS. i actually have 192.168.1.x networks as well as 10.x.x.x networks all in my proxmox. my host does not show the other networks as i assign the virtual nic of the VM to separate networks when needed.

NOTE: if i lost you at some point, we need to backup and discuss what your goal is.

In short, my intention for the 172.16.x.x network is to be the Server internal NAT network, in the bridged network.

I have the CCNA ITN degree, but I haven’t done this kinda stuff. I don’t currently have vlans setted up.

In short, this is the question/goal

Setup a network connection to the VM in such a way, that it can access the LAN-network for updates, and also receive and respond to service requests from the LAN.

The 172.16.x.x network is only “inside” the proxmox (my thought was to easily identify the different devices). But that might not make sense. So there isn’t a router in there, and but I would like to be bridged to the LAN-network.

Does this sound doable, or should I consider going with a different subnet using the 192.168.x.x address space? The physical nics have addresses in the LAN-network (my home network).

Sorry, I might have missed something, don’t hesitate to ask…

even if you set all of this stuff up static, and all the VMs use 172 and can all talk to each other, you will need some sort of router somewhere to move traffic from 172 ‘out’.

opt 1. if your current router that is 192.168.1.1 supports it, add anther network to it and use it as the 172 gateway also. (it will probably be open even if it supports it, so both networks will have full access to each other and the internet)

opt 2. build a VM with 2 nics and a firewall distro like untangle, openwrt, etc, do routing from one network to the other there.

opt 3. use a physical device and a seperate nic on the host to get traffic to the physical device that is the router. could be an old pc with 2 nics, whatever.

opt 4. move all traffic to 192 and your gateway will be 192.168.1.1 (i would still recommend cleaning up the bridge)

in short, routers move traffic from one network to another. switches carry traffic to the router.

NOTE: it is possible to NAT inside of proxmox, you will want to look up a guide and see if that is a task that you are capable of. for a home lab it is fine, i just prefer to use a router as a router and a VM host as a VM host.

Yeah, I think this will work the best for me at the moment, I will work on cleaning that bridge

settings

vmbr0
192.168.1.1 (gateway)
Connected interface ENO1 ENO2
This should work correct?

And many thanks for your time and effort!

Set the connected interface to just eno1. You dont need a bond for this and it will simplify stuff later.

Think of eno1 as ‘for VMs’ and eno2 as ‘management’

Also dont duplicate ip addresses, the bridge cannot have the ip of a nic.

And if you have a dhcp server make sure you exclude anything you assign statically.

1 Like

bunch of info for bridging

eno1 needs to be on but this physical interface does not need a gateway, or even an IP address as the bridge will handle that.

eno2 leave on and leave a IP and Gateway and you can use it as a management interface if you want

set vmbr0 with an IP and a Gateway and your virtual machines will traverse this to get to the network. (you only NEED the gateway, this interface does not need an IP address if you are using eno2 for management, but you can leave it as it wont hurt.)

linux is not windows, just because an interface is on, does not mean it needs an IP to do something.

do NOT set a bridge IP to the same as a nic IP, if you are asigning IPs at all to these things.

on MY screenshot, the 10gb NIC has no IP, but is set to on. the Bridge IP is used for management, the bridge gateway carries the VM traffic. all of my enoX devices are passed into VMs for specific reasons.

1 Like

For reference, here is what mine looks like.

I have two physical adapters ens2f0, ens2f1

I link them together an Active-Backup bond, bond0

I attach the bond0 to the vmbr1

I attach the virtual machines VirtIO nics to the vmbr1 interface.

The important thing here is that you do NOT assign IP addresses to the physical nics directly, you attach them to a virtual bridge and then give that bridge an IP. My setup just takes it a step further to setup a HA failover method (should one NIC die).

2 Likes

Yeah, I have done that for my home network!
Good to mention.

Allright, this is the setup I have now running
Nope, I did something wrong.

Your bridge is now totally blank. That is the opposite of what you were instructed. Asign the settings to the bridge, not the nic.

1 Like

Sorry, I must have missed something,
So IP in the same subnet I assume?

All IPs will be in th 192 range. Do not asign duplicates to anything. Your gateway is always 192.168.1.1

1 Like

Well, problem
My bond deployment ruined the webGUI, and now strugling with the removal of that

do you have a monitor on the proxmox host server? the file to fix is /etc/network/interfaces it is a standard config file, open with nano.

the post below will build 1 port that is your bridge, management, and everything. it will be at 220 so leave or change that 1 number however you want.

1 Like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual
iface eno2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.220
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

1 Like

Well, not at the moment. But I am remoted over to the CLI using the IBM IMM (Fancy name for IPMI)

And first time using nano, but it worked without a hitch once I got used to the keybased movement
SInce no mouse support :man_facepalming:

So, this is the Local network gateway?
Or which gateway?
I have setted mine up now, thanks for your reply!

edit
Restarting the server at the moment