Proton GE FSR "hack"

Okay, so I recently came across a video demonstrating FSR working with a game on steam without the game having been officially supported or implemented otherwise. I haven’t had a chance to do much testing myself, but it seems simple enough. From when I understand you just have to have the most recent version of Proton GE and to add a launcher option in steam, then just set the in game resolution and FSR does it’s thing. The video showcased Max Payne 3 and from what I could tell it got a pretty good bump in performance with Proton GE/FSR. Has anyone else stumbled across this and tested it?

Here the video if you’d like to check it out.

5 Likes

I haven’t yet tested, but I’m willing to take a stab at it this weekend. Maybe, depends on how things go during the week.

3 Likes

I’m really interested to see what this could mean for Linux gaming in general or if this is something that would also work on Steam for windows. Either way it’s super exciting to see people using FSR in a way that doesn’t take a whole lot of extra development and is more or less a global solution. I wonder if the guys over at steam well try and implement something like this for the new Steam Deck.

2 Likes

From what I can see, this is a Linux only feature.

3 Likes

It also scales AFTER the UI pipeline so artifacts in the HUD get magnified.

Currently it is also slower than the Windows implementation as it uses FP32 shaders rather than FP16.

It’s extremely early days, don’t expect performance figures to equal Windows.

2 Likes

Interesting! Do you have an article or something you could link to share that info? I’m only asking out of curiosity.

Videocardz has an article on FP32 vs FP16 FSR:

There’s further overhead from Proton and DXVK so expect lower figures than those posted there as it was a Windows test.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

Hmm, seems Pascal architecture NV GPUs got reverted to FP32 because of poor FP16 performance on the tech whitepaper PDF.

I’ll be honest, I’m not very familiar with GPU terminology, so I’m not sure what that means. I’ll look over the article and hopefully be more educated on the matter.

It’s half-precision vs full precision. Half precision instructions tend to be faster while full precision needs something like Ampere (a ton of full precision shaders) to work fast.

1 Like

And with the change in precision, there’s a lack of accuracy, right? But I’m assuming it doesn’t really matter?

1 Like

I’m assuming that effects the quality and speed of the frames? So it’s not as good on older hardware?

A change in precision can get simple things done faster, hence a spatial based upscaler which is simple in design can be sped up by FP16 operations.

No, just the speed. It’s about how the scaling is calculated on the shaders. The result will remain the same, only difference is how it’s calculated and it’s resulting speed.