Project Silica - proof of concept

Now do it with a three-hour 4K movie. :slight_smile:

That is 4k, Iā€™ll just extend it.

gets sticky note stack 20 meters tall.

Your compression level is extremely poor. :slight_smile:

ok enough for this offtop because in a moment people will cry ā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are referring to the effect found in stained glass in churchesā€¦ These are purer than that and would presumably have less problem. It is more crystalline than a regular glass ā€œsoupā€.

1 Like

MS is going to archive public github repos using Project Silica.

2 Likes

Interesting. Sounds good to me.

I personally donā€™t see this replacing tape for regular ā€œBackup Storageā€ in companies. Tapes are used mainly because they can hold a ton of data AND are really robust. Access or seek times arenā€™t really a Problem in those cases.

Tapes are reaching the limit in throughput for us atm. Several customers have 20TB+ File Servers. Backing those up even over the weekend is getting harder to do. So, if Glass can provide a significant upgrade in terms of throughput, i could see it being of use as a intermediate medium for daily backups.

On the other end of the spectrum i feel itā€™s a great idea for real archival storage. From how it sounds, the medium basically wonā€™t degrade. No electric charge to hold, No Problems with humidity or temperature. So for storing things for decades and longer, this could be a great option. You just have to worry about storing the plates so they canā€™t shatter. Thatā€™s a whole lot less trouble than current solutions with having to dig tunnels for consistent temperatures and humiditys etc.

Certainly an interesting concept. I just donā€™t see us using this as day-to-day storage, Minority Report styleā€¦

3 Likes