Project Personal Datacentre

I’ve ordered the cable. Now I’m just waiting on the postal service to get it to me, so I can (possibly) begin the project this Wednesday. The last week I’ll spend in pre-installation delay. I should be able to test out ESXi 6.5 installation today, as long as no one/thing interferes this afternoon…

1 Like

Delaying initial ESXi testing to this Thursday, since today got swamped with unexpected events.

Currently looking into VMware Horizon 7, for app virtualisation. Time to see if I can beat Turbo/Spoon at their own game.

If I can move UnGoogledChromium and KeePass 2 to a remote instance, I’d call that the first step to success…

1 Like

Replaced the Rosewill RASA-11001 with a Kingwin MKS-435TL, due to the fact that it doesn’t need molex and will also have a cleaner look to it.

2 Likes

Grabbed the wired mouse. Now back to the waiting game, to see when everything will arrive in the mail…

1 Like

The new drive cage arrived via Amazon. There’s only one item left that hasn’t arrived in the mail yet - my new mouse…

1 Like

So close, yet so far:
https://communities.vmware.com/message/2980320#2980320

2 Likes

Onto the next issue:

Also have to look into this at some point (even though the server will be mostly hiding behind a VPN):

I’m getting ready to reinstall ESXi 6.5 U3, since HPE’s Smart Array assumed I was gonna ‘RAID all da things’ and lose over half my storage to sub-optimally configured RAID arrays that it made (one of which was in perpetual recovery and included an unsupported SSD). Had to manually configure each drive as a logical volume with RAID 0 fault tolerance, treating each drive as its own virtual array of one disk. I ended up RAIDing all the things anyway, by that logic.

1 Like

Now to address the SSD issue in the background, while I look at security patches and initial VM setup.

1 Like

Currently trying to make a new datastore via SSH. More info here:

So close to the final stage:

1 Like

While I’m waiting on comments for the previous issue, and a few ISOs to upload to my server, I can start working on investigating this:

Gotta search for the patches through this page, by entering the details mentioned in the last 3 kb pages:

On a side note, also ran into this when setting up my first VM:

Reserve Memory beforehand, I guess 🤔

One step closer…

Solved the SSD/Virtual Flash issue! Now onto the next one

Removed the HP 491838-001 (NC375i)​​​​​​​ due to space constraints, increased RAM to 128GB, purchased 4TB HDDs to replace the 2TB HUA722020ALA330’s, and delaying the addition of the SolarFlare NIC.

1 Like

Currently working on DNS, after which I’ll focus on setting up the first VPN solution - SoftEther.

1 Like

The hunt continues:

The VMware mirror for this project will no longer be maintained:

Moving on…

1 Like

May have to look into this sometime today as well: