Programmers best keyboard?

I want to know which keyboard is the best for typing a lot, I heard that the following models are the best is it tried had anyone tried these models?

1. Vortex 75% - Grey CNC Case - PBT DSA Keycaps - Cherry Mx-Clear [CNC Aluminium Casing]
  2. Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 55g
  3. whitefox keyboard

What color is best for T-shirts? What length is best for pants? What soda is best to drink? Well, the best colors are those that you like and the best length is determined by your inseam. Keyboard switches are no different. I may like buckling spring switches, you may hate Cherry MX switches and my buddy may like Alps switches so much that he is willing to spend $350 on a NOS keyboard from 1980. It’s all personal preference.

If you like to customize your keyboad, Cherry MX switches have the best support for custom keycaps. If you like custom keycaps, but don’t like the expense and gritty feel that some of the Cherry switches can have, there are there are some competitors who arguably make a better Cherry switch than Cherry does.

I’d suggest that you start by finding a switch tester, such as this: https://clueboard.co/parts/clueboard-switch-tester which will allow you to get a feel for all of the major players, except for Realforce.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Cherry MX brown switches. Can’t recommend a specific model though.

1 Like

I would say try some.

There is a lot of difference between MX switches and Topre which you have both listed.

Get a switch tester? To try the different switches and see which you like most.

Take a look at the different layouts and see which has all the keys and features you want/need.

Get a board that has both of the above.

Model M

If you want the “One” keyboard, you will just have to try one out for a longer time, and change it a couple of years down the road if you think using another one will make you happier. Even if they are very different to each other (Topre) you may find it difficult to decide which one you will like. I’d say, if you can’t decide, just pick one (a dice is fine) and stick with it, get to know it over time. Personal preferences aren’t necessarily linearly or temporally adjacent.

A good rubber dome works for me most of the time - cheap and doesn’t bother anyone with incessant clicking. I would surely love to have the “One” keyboard, but I don’t type in environments conductive to this preference, either at work or at home.

If you need the clickety-clackety of a mechanical keyboard, but are hesitant to pay the price for one, check out the Amazon Basics keyboard. Seriously, if you absolutely hate it, you’re out $12. I absolutely love the shit out of them. I’m eventually going to move to a proper mechanical keyboard, but the Amazon Basics are really, really nice, and the price is good.

1 Like

Tesoro makes affordable keyboards with genuine switches. I have one that I use for work, in addition to my Black Widow I use on my gaming machine.

MIT Space Cadet keyboard if you can find one. Happy Hacking’s keyboard foots the bill as well

1 Like

A Planck? Ballsy for a programmers full time board.

I seriously want one though.

Massachusetts institute of technology

The space Cadet keyboard was designed for the AI lab for coding. They are quite rare. Not sure about a Planck (ortholinear). Doesn’t look comfortable to me.

Ah I see. The Planck has a 2u space bar plate called MIT, as opposed to all 1u keys in the Grid layout.

And Space Cadet (edit: key cap set) has been remade and sold through group buys, so I though thats what you meant there.

I love the planck as an idea. I really want to make one out of ice pop/popsicle sticks and hand wire it. They are just “right” in my eyes, never replace a full board, my compact 1800 will be my favourite board for ever, and my Filco TKL is the desert island board but the Planck is just cool.

Carry on

Yeah if you can find a new Soace Cadet I would jump on it.

PM me if you ever see one.

1 Like

Black

Cargo shorts

Pepsi

These are facts. There is no debate.

On a more serious note, I love my Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 with orange switches (Razer’s version of MX Browns). It has an awesome, fluffy, super soft wrist pad that is much more comfortable than the couple other thick foam ones that I’ve used. Relatively minimalist design (other than the RGB lighting).

I do want to get myself a Vortex Race 3 (75%) with MX Browns though. It would be nice to have more free desk space.

I have a WASD CODE 61-key (basically a Pok3r) with MX Blues, but I don’t use it because I don’t like gaming with blues, and I don’t like having to switch back and forth between keyboards depending on what I’m doing.

I also want a HHKB, but I’m not sure about that Ctrl key placement for gaming. Now that I think about it, it would probably be easier than the normal Ctrl placement, but I’m still a little skeptical.

There’s also this one by Drevo. It’s available with red, blue, black, or brown switches, and you can choose from either a white or black case. I’d imagine at that price point (~$40-$45), it probably isn’t made like a tank like my WASD is, but you could get a feel for the 75% form factor for very little money. I am debating ordering one, but brown switches are only an option with the white case :confused:. It has ugly caps imo, but those can be swapped out.

This one is a lot of fun too. It looks huge, but it actually takes up less space than my BlackWidow does. I ended up returning it because I couldn’t get used to gaming on it, but it was really nice to type on.

EDIT:

Just found this one as well, by Drevo. Metal case and real Cherry switches. Cheaper than the Vortex, but that typeface :man_facepalming:… Still, that’s subjective, and they can be replaced.

https://www.amazon.com/DREVO-Excalibur-Mechanical-Keyboard-Specially/dp/B01N6GBUQE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1508341505&sr=8-7&keywords=drevo

1 Like

i really like cherry mx browns. i have a das pro 4, and i’m very, very happy with it.

unfortunately, i read they swtiched out the switches to some cheap brand after i bought mine, so not sure i could recommend it now.

any advice for picking up some of the more niche switches? like i’m curious alps and soace invader switches, but there is a wide variety of different types, and its not like i can go to my local store and try out either. I don’t think there are really sample things for those types of switches either.

Dell AT101W