Problem with switching the boot GPU (and with some other things)

Sry that I have to start off yelling for help in my first post but I am running out of ideas now.
I recently switched my Setup from Nvidia/Intel to AMD which has the following specs:

• [Motherboaed] Asus Crosshair VII Hero
  • [CPU] Ryzen 2700x
  • [RAM] Crucial Ballistix 4 x 4GB DDR4 2400MHZ
  • [GPU 1] Asus Strix RX Vega64 (On PCIEX16_1 Slot, pci-pt Guest-card)
  • [GPU 2] Asus Radeon R7 250 (On PCIEX4_3 Slot, pci-pt Host-card)
  • [Storage 1] Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD 970 PRO 512GB (On M2_2 Slot , 512MB at /boot/efi , 16GB swap , remnant at /)
  • [Storage 2] Toshiba 500GB HDD (mountet at /home/)

I am running Manjaro on the 4.18.7 Kernel.

While getting my Gaming-VM back to work I experienced the following problem:
On boot I get Output through my Vega card (which is used for pci-pt) up to the point where the entire System hangs and I get no from the Vega or from the R7 250 host-card.
I guess that’s down to system not able to handle the switch from the Vega (which is choosen by the UEFI BIOS as the main output card) to the host card.
So I tried to set the boot GPU manualy as described in the following Post:

Changing the boot GPU would have probebly solved all my problems. So of course it doesn’t work :slight_smile:
And since I have no Idea what the given Kernel options are actuely doing, couse it is not explaned in the post, I can’t say why it is not working.
Does sombody has an Idea how to Solve this Problem?

Oh, and there is another smal Problem with my Mainboard.
Everytime when I’m powering off my PC normaly on next startup the BIOS hangs before its promt shows up and has to manualy reseted.
Does sombody experienced the same problem and knows how to fix it?
I’m asking because the board seems to be tested a lot on Level 1 Techs.

Sry for getting a littlebit off-topcic :grimacing:

1 Like

So no image after a certain point of the boot?
When did the boot issue happen after and update or is this the first time set up?

I have the same problem.
I also have an x470 Crosshair and a 2700x

I have an Nvidia 1060 that I’ve used solely until I installed a 570 and then I configured the 1060 to be skipped during boot. My plan was to use the 570 for the host.

During boot I have output on the 1060 up until the VFIO driver is loaded and then it does not show any more output.

Expecting this to happen I switched over the display to the 570, only to be greeted with a blank screen.

Now I’m a bit lost as to what to do…

I’ve read somewhere (oh, have I read…) that the order in which the cards are insterted into the pci slots are important but I would like to have the 1060 in the most performing slot (being the upmost)

1 Like

Yes, after the menu where you can choose the manjaro kernel Version. To be precisely it stops with this input:

:: running early hook [udev]
starting version 239
_

After first time set up with the new Hardware. Before the Host GPU was an intel HD integrated GPU so there was no need to change the boot GPU.

I switched the host GPU from the first position to the last and now the AMD card is used for the host and the nividia is captured by vfio.

I switched after reading an article on gamers nexus that confirmed that my 1060 would not have reduced performnace by the 8x PCIE slot

With a 1060 maybe but with a Vega64?
On the other hand, bandwidth on a VM seems to be limited anyway:

But for linux gaming it would definitely mean a performance loss.

there is a problem with linux snatching up the first gpu it gets handed by the UEFI as primary gpu, and passes through anything from your “secondary to the primary”.
id just switch the two cards around on your mobo if i were you, since from what i understand the primary gpu is chosen by a first come first serve, going by the top most slot and downwards, ending with the gpu placed on your cpu.
basically what happens should be the OS is handed a GPU to use by the UEFI, which you then detach after the fact, be it stumping it or what ever you do, which basically just confuses the OS kernel since it all of a sudden loose it’s gpu while using it.
I had a somewhat similar problem once on a old apu(forgot the make, believe it was 8750 or something) where for the love of me i couldn’t passthrough a
750ti, where i met mr. kernel panic, and all that jazz, but the cpu bound gpu worked perfectly when passing through everytime.

But since I’m loosing half of my PCIe lines that way, this option is not very satisfying.
But I guess it’s better then nothing? :confused:

Well, Gamers nexus has test with a 1080. I’m really not sure if that is equivalent to the Vega64.
Gamers Nexus
(i remember seeing an article where he does the same with the 2080 ti but I can’t find it right now)
edit: here is the other one… 2080

Cheers

since I posted here I’ve got it working. The trick was to install the fedora virtio drivers in the windows guest.
Also, I had to add the ventdor_id tag to the hyperv section after
virsh edit nameOfTheVM.
In case anyone is helped by this.

1 Like