Problem with NAS after unit powered on with missing drives

I’m helping out a colleague with a QNAP problem. The problem is as follows:

The box is a 8 bay QNAP NAS running raid 6 (with some cache drives and things on top). At some point, the box was powered off and 3 of the drives were removed. Before they were put back in place, the box had powered itself back on and, correctly, found an invalid state for the drive array. Some time later, the drives were reinserted. Unfortunately, the QNAP OS is now stuck with an error that the raid array isn’t properly configured even though all the drives should now be back in place. We’re sure that the array is still fully in tact, and we just need to do something at the software level to tell it that the array is fine now.

I’m not familiar enough with QNAP (or NAS software in general) but I figured that somebody here might have a better idea of how to go about fixing this.
We absolutely want to avoid rebuilding the array or doing any operation that might result in lost data.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

That is a sticky problem.
Your best bet is to recover the data files from the individual drives.
You may be able to do this with recovery software and an external dock.
But raid arrays are a real sticky problem.
The issue with this is that by removing those drives and powering on reconfigures the raid.
Adding or reinstalling the drives will show an error.
You are usually prompted to re- initialize the raid and sadly this wipes out any data on all the drives.

Here again is another example of why us older techs tell you.
Backups Backups Backups.

Data backups do take up shelf space but it is not lost data.