Problem with my ducky keyboard and the level1 techs KVM

I recently switched from a Filco Majestouch 2 keyboard to a Ducky one (I wanted to go TKL). The ducky, however, does not appear to work in the usb hid port on the Level 1 tech KVM.

Is there perhaps some kind of firmware update or something I could try on the KVM? It is not unusable like this, I just plugged the kvm into the front usb-3 port, but it’s a bit of a bummer :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I was thinking maybe a firmware update for the KVM, the keyboard works fine :slight_smile:

If you disable nkey rollover the kvm will work fine too. Reason it doesn’t work is because the leading keys and actual keys come from different hid endpoints. Not an issue I can really fix from my end. Nkey on qmk can be fine if you customize it slightly not to send the kvm leading keys from a different hid endpoint. There’s a thread on here that has the qmk setup to do that

1 Like

Bleh, there’s no QMK (yet) for the Ducky One IiI, I probably should have checked that. Disabling nkey does seem to work, perhaps it’s a tradeoff worth making to get the screen switching back.

How many key rollover does the KVM support? I think USB HID has like 3 different protocols for this?

It’s not a protocol. Understand what’s happening. Nkey rollover makes one keyboard show up as 3 or 4 on the bus. The key events come from different what appear to USB to be physical key boards.

6key is literally the designed USB limitation, nkey is a hacky work around implemented slightly differently on damn near every keyboard that has it hence the jank.

Qmk has a more reasonable approach,and is more flexible. 6key is not likey to be functionally different for you than nkey anyway

1 Like

Ok so my next keyboard will be VIA/QMK. :gigathink:

I am currently on a Ducky keyboard as well.

I thought that was only in the boot protocol? I saw a video of Ben Eater I believe hooking up a scope to a usb hid keyboard showing that there were multiple protocols for the various key rollover. The packet format was different for nkey vs the 6 key one.

Maybe I totally misunderstood things, but wikipedia also seems to agree with that? Does the KVM only support the boot protocol?

No because then things like the 8 vs 20 byte protocol of Logitech wouldn’t work. Which does work.

I’ll hook up a scope between the ducky and the KVM and report back as to what is actually happening. I have some suspicions but I don’t know anything right now.