Problem with Desktop Performance

Weird Desktop performance on x99 system

Hi everyone, I’ve got a weird problem with my desktop PC with linux that really affect it’s usability and prevent me from switching completely to linux.
If I use Windows or MacOS my pc feels really snappy, but if I use any DE on linux it become choppy and unresponsive at the point where even resizing the file manager is really difficult. However, the performance in benchmarks is good and similar to the results I see on youtube.
I’ve tried a lot of distros and waited for months, to find out if it was a bug of one package, but it is still present.
I’ve even purchased an Rx Vega 64 because I’ve read that that problem was caused by my NVIDIA GPU, so I planned to use my GTX1080 for a Windows VM with GPUs passthrough, but the problem is still there.

My PC

• X99-DELUXE/U3.1
  • i7-5820k
  • Strix RxVega 64
  • Strix GTX 1080
  • HyperX Fury DDR4 2400Mhz 32GB (4x8)
  • Samsung 960 Pro 512GB

What I’ve tried so far

Drivers

Both proprietary and Open Source drivers:

• AMDGPU-PRO and mesa
  • NVIDIA and nouveau

Distros

• Arch Linux
  • Debian
  • Ubuntu
  • Manjaro
  • PopOS
  • Fedora
  • Linux Mint

Desktop Environments

• XFCE
  • KDE
  • Deepin
  • i3wm
  • GNOME (the worst performer)
  • Cinnamon
  • MATE

Maybe https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/8a031h/beefy_desktop_with_gtx_1080ti_jerky_animations/ ?

I’ve done that on Arch Linux with my GTX 1080 by following the DRM Kernel mode setting guide of the arch wiki, but the problem is still there.
I cannot figure out why that happens even with my Vega 64 that uses the built-in drivers of the kernel

So it is the same issue with either card? Did you simply add the second card in to the system after the first one gave you issue, or did you try them independently?

With the Vega, my understanding is that there is an issue with it trying to load both the open source drivers and the Radeon driver, so the Radeon drivers have to be blacklisted. I have the same issue with my 2400G with Vega 11 iGPU. I found the fix that worked for me here:

I know with nVidia there are certain things you may need to do to fix screen tearing. It’s different on certain generations of cards, and I have no experience with any dedicated cards newer than a GT 710. There are videos on YouTube that go over some of the things to fix screen tearing in Linux, as well as screen tearing test videos.

The Desktop Environments that don’t have a compositing window manager by default are going to always have desktop screen tearing unless you use a compositor. An example would be my PC running LXQt and enabling Compton.

1 Like

Yes, it is the same with either card, the Vega is slightly better but still laggy. I tried with both GPUs plugged in and even with only one inserted at a time.

Thanks for your reply, right now I’ll try and I’ll let you now what happens

My experience has been with Lubuntu 18.10 and 19.04. I tried fixing the LTS version to make it work and that was a waste of effort. I know it can be done and I also know it is way more work than using a newer OS, blacklisting the Radeon drivers, and using updated drivers such as from the Oibaf PPA.

I personally don’t recommend using *buntu 18.04 and have no clue about other Linux versions beyond knowing that the bleeding edge distro’s probably have the latest drivers available vs an LTS distro.

I’ve blacklisted the radeon module (if I run lsmod | grep radeon I get no results) but the problem is still there. It feels like my monitor is running at 15Hz only when I’m resizing windows or doing stuff like that

What OS and DE are you using? There is a bunch of info in the first post that makes it quite confusing as to where you are at the moment vs all of the stuff tried.

I would recommend *buntu 19.04 simply because it works for me and I have no experience with anything else. I’ve never been a fan of vanilla Ubuntu as they tend to do some things there first that the other Ubuntu flavors don’t do (such as running Wayland by default).

Right now I’m using a fresh install of arch linux with deepin de, before I was using a vanilla Ubuntu 19.04.
I’ve noticed that in general wayland seems faster but it gives a lot of atifacts