Private Internet Access bought out

At the end of the day. Show me one instance of a tech company being bought by a conglomerate or bigger corporation and not turning to shit and abandoning their values. It’s just the way it works.

They all say the same thing “oh nothing will change, we’ll have the same team, same goals and morals”

Having also been apart of multiple company mergers and seeing it on the inside. Change is guaranteed. That small business friendliness and quality of service will always get worse.

Seems foolish to follow a potentially uninformed mob.

Ansible.

1 Like

Yeah but Ansible was bought by Red Hat. That’s not exactly the same as being bought by some VC

The usual I guess. Change the rules when you don’t get the answer you wanted.

Kape isn’t a vc company.

Another example is EE just off the top of my head. and there will be plenty of others. So your argument was proven false. Let’s move on.

1 Like

You said conglomerate or bigger corporation. Red Hat is both of those.

2 Likes

I will translate this from BS into a simple language … Apparently they have significant money from PIA and they would not want to lose it but at the same time they cannot look partial because their viewers would blame them. So they are trying to play on two fronts and they probably hope that they will be able to leave this situation with $$$. Actually, like with China … everyone knows that they are spying and stealing technologies but everyone is doing business there anyway.

1 Like

i used cyberghost for over a year without issues. it had a 3 hour connection time and would securely disconnect you when your time was up.
it uses aes 256 encryption and keeps no logs. its based in a web neutral country.
yes there free service cam with an add but it was 1 add for there own product displayed while you waited to use a server on the free version. other than that NO ADS!.

there service was outstanding for the most part with all ports that were open and web facing from my pc, covered with there masked ip’s
i tried all ways to see if i was leaking from dns probes to full wireshark dumps.
the 2 times i couldn’t connect they were updating the system and were down for 2 days respectively. other than that i cant remember any other significant outages…

now your asking why such a glowing review?
because i was that impressed. like i said over a year using there free service which had unlimited speed for 3 hours at a time and it would allow you to reconnect within a couple of mins… making it effectively free apart from there 1 add.
they managed to do this with a subsidy from the paid service but as with all things the hackers decided to crack the paid side of the server which ended the free side due to a drop in revenue.
they have since recovered and are now in a position to buy out 1 of there competitors.
so i would be perfectly happy with this buy out as cyber-ghost did everything i asked and more.

I don’t post a lot. But I felt like I had to add my 2 cents.

I am super pissed about this. I have been using PIA before LTT sponsorship. Wendell recommended it randomly . I researched all the companies. It’s the only VPN I’ve ever used and recommended it to everyone. I love the WAN show idea of getting the CEO on in a video to assure us of security. If it isn’t done soon I’ll be gone and now I gotta see what LTT, Wendell, and some other tech youtubers recommend, as a starting point. Then, I gotta read and research all over again. What a waste of time.

If I change then I have to explain to other people why they have to leave.

I felt so lucky I didn’t have to deal with the TunnelBear BS or the Nord BS.
I hope Level 1 makes a separate video about this. I hope Wendell can get an interview with the CEO as well and ask for assurances and his own questions.

1 Like

I just bought another 14month subscriptions, hope it doesn’t just turn off. If they change their privacy statement then I’ll be pushing for a refund for sure. Next round I’ll probably look elsewhere for VPN service.

Relax, it’s early days still.
At the moment the same staff are running the same company, doing the same work.

It is a wait and see if their new owner return to their old mindset, or if they have changed.

With paid VPN’s, we are customers. With the installers they have the reputation for, we would have been the targets.

There are many eyes on this, and the same people who recommended PIA are interested in PIA’s conduct because it may affect their reputation.

Saying that, The new company might just gut PIA, secretly scrape the data behind the scenes, and who would be any the wiser?

So you do have a valid concern, but it is early days, and And even if they do start logging, they would be no worse than the ISP you are masking from, but still harder for the Gov to casually snoop on you

Honest question. Why has a (quite honestly) fairly basic uneventful company acquisition given you such an extreme emotional reaction?

Yes there are obviously questions about the merger, but it’s just a merger.

Supprised no one has mentioned the quite frankly more important Freenode network.

Please elaborate

Woah, I didn’t realist LTM owned them too! crikey, small world

They were sold to LTM a couple of years ago. The nature of this is now a bit weird. Freenode said it was a formally now part of the PIA/LTM family in 2017, not they’re saying their not affiliated with the merger. Same scare mongering i guess. In any event, what i suspect is perhaps the name and the admin were sold to LMT.

In any event. On the topic of PIA, they work just the same as Kape, taking over companies like any other company.

PIA is part of the London Trust Media (LTM) who operate under the PIA name by proxy.

LTM however, like kape and other companies, weren’t always LTM. They were previously known as London Trust and Corporate Services, London Corporate Services, and Langbeam.

LTM is also now part of a (new?) larger holding company called Imperial Family Companies. Not sure where they are registered as they dont show up anywhere. (London presumably)

Imperial Family Companies seems to be managed by PIA/LTM

Imperial Family companies explicitly include under its portfolio Freenode along with this list.

Technology

Entertainment / Sports

Hospitality

Other

So PIA which you thought just did VPNs, who are actually LTM, actually do all this. And all this is now owned by Kape.

(it also means that the freenode guy is out of the loop on who owns freenode id assume)

1 Like

I wonder if LTM changed names to distance from Karples / mtgox stuff?

Changed names to imperial family or PÍA.

PIA is probably just because it’s their big thing. LTM is essentially the Alphabet to Google.

This new name Imperial Family companies, i don’t know yet if it’s a name change or entirely new company. However since all the sub companies are listed under it, I’m guessing it may just be a name change as that must be far simpler than transferring the companies.

The news is Kape bought LTM which would presume they bought everything as PIA is still listed under this new imperial family company not separately.

Lmfao.

Literally what I said. That’s what “sponsor” means.

You added nonsense about China and playing both sides whereas I paraphrased what was in the video.

Well ? You dug a little deeper :slight_smile:

One thing you can certainly bank on is something is gonna change at some point. Maybe, not dramatically at first . Once they make a change you do not like…bail. Vote with your wallet. Have some concern and pay attention but lets not sjw this topic until there is reason to do so ?

3 Likes

I was referring to the words in the video. If you think that China is nonsense… you can still live in your hermetic box your business.

I don’t have time for unproductive discussions, on my part eot!