Printer Scanner Copier Recommendation

Hi, I am looking for a 2 recommendations.

1. A good “all-in-one” printer/scanner/copier that can print and scan over network to/from Windows, Linux and macOS clients. Price range $300-$800. Currently looking at HP’s, but mainly just because they look nice. Needs to have ethernet (not just wireless).

2. Cross-platform open source printer server/management software (if a good option exists). I have never set up anything like this before. Just curious what’s out there. Do people still use samba/cups?

Thanks in advance for all constructive feedback.

1 Like

I’m going to piggyback off of this and hopefully bump this back to some relevancy, because I have the same question. I have about 50 users on a HP small laserjet that doesn’t seem to be cutting it. Despite working in IT for a while now, I have little understanding of what makes a ‘good’ printer, let alone a good commercial model, outside of a full service contract or spending lots of money.

Hopefully someone can offer something worthwhile.

1 Like

all in one printers are in my opinion a royal PITA.
If you are a windows user your fine with them as they ship with a driver install cd.
and may of them have mac drivers but do not offer linux drivers and few of them care to write a cups driver.

Hp does offer the info to developers who want to write a driver but Iv’e yet to see one out there.

choice of printer depends on what you want to use it for.
for my intent and purpose a plain monochrome laser printer suites my needs well.
color and photo printing is different and requires a lot more resources.
just asking someone whats the best is not what you want to do, you need to narrow the field down quite a ways and the answer will jump out at you

Any specific make/model?

samsung , /samsung-xpress-sl-m2835dw-monochrome-laser-printer-with-wireless-printing

dell: Dell E310dw Monochrome Wireless Laser Printer, 250 Sheet Standard Input Tray
both are low cost and dependable

1 Like