Preparing a petite pointy pocket-knife

Alright, I wanna make a pocket knife.

After having had a little look around I ordered myself a piece of 4112/440b steel. Since I don’t have a forge; I’m gonna take that flat piece of material and just hack away at it until what’s left looks like a knife.

Here’s some pics of the first knife I made:

The pocket knife is gonna be a tanto in shrunken down. Which means the handle and sheath are going to be made of one single piece. Which is interesting. I think. Right now the aesthetic I like most is the white/gold look of some sort of birch burl wood and brass or maybe the exact opposite with some bog oak. Not sure yet.

One thing I’ll for sure need is a longer file (doing this by hand) and a new jig. So off I go to look for one.

13 Likes

Seeing that knife and you calling it a pocket knife it totally made me think of this scene lol

Looks amazing, professionally made!

1 Like

Hehe … dreams away; things were simpler back then

The images are of the first knife I made using this workflow a few years ago tho, so the pocket knife will actually be small. ish. maybe 20cm.

Back then I also made 3 more little pokers, those were just paring/pairing knives tho:

That was back in 2018. I originally learned these techniques to help improve the longevity of the jewelery I was making.

With a new job in 2019 and the crazieness in 2020 I kinda stopped creating. Buttt as anyone with the urge knows, you can only not create stuff for so long. Sooooo

While waiting for my steel I found some nice 40cm long files. When making these by hand and not with a belt sander/grinder it’s less hassle the more material you can remove in a single stroke. I also gotta find myself some wood pieces and a few metal bits and bobs (scientific term) to build a new jig that can, quite frankly, work properly.

While the knives I was able to produce look and work real nice it was an enormous hassle . I don’t mind the time. It’s rather meditative to grind a knife bevel by hand. I just gotta smooth out the experience.

1 Like

Oops, brain went afk when I replied I guess lol

The craftmanship and details are amazing. I might look easly impressionable but I really do mean what I say!

I have the same feelings when it comes to crafting something or doing some handwork.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with soon™

Thanks a lot but those were not the most detailed items, the fiddliest things I made were these:

Yeaaah, will probably take a while until I have the finished knoif but I’ll take you along the journey of building the tools needed to build the jig to grind the bevels of the thing… and the prisoner of azkaban :smiley:

1 Like