Power surge Hosed EDID in a monitor can't unlock it to reflash it

I have a small 7 in monitor that as the title suggests stopped working in windows. It still worked in linux so after some digging guessed it was the EDID causing the issue. I figured out how to dump the EDID, and that’s when I learned it was corrupted, by 1 digit. My device suffered a bit flip. Now this is where I’m stuck, the thing needs to be in service mode to write the EDID. How do I do that? The white box company never answered me, nor the oem. I couldn’t find any information on it. I even tried writing a custom inf file to get windows to play nice, but I couldn’t figure out that documentation, it has to much jargon for me.

It’s been I while since I looked at it. I can dig up what found before if someone wants to know.

1 Like

If you never found a solution for flashing the repaired EDID back to the monitor, there do exist dongles on sites like AliExpress that report the EDID you program into them. Sometimes these are used to fake out cheap KVMs or for modifying the EDID of a monitor for various reasons.

I’d link a specific product but … the way of AliExpress (and even of Amazon for such products) is that they wouldn’t necessarily be useful long-term anyway.

It’s a workaround, not a fix, but it’s one that doesn’t require a soldering iron or specialized tools that may be intentionally hard to obtain.

1 Like

The few monitors I’ve worked on have spi chips that store the EDID which if you’re handy with a soldering iron you can piggy back jump wires to the chip and wire up to a rpi’s gpio and use flashrom to rewrite the chip.

Most spi chips require write enable to be pulled high, just jump across from vcc.

Rpi has limited power output on 3.3 v, may wanna externally power the chip, check your data sheet to make sure you’ve got your voltage right. Most I’ve seen aren 3v, but I’ve ran into a few laptops with 1.8v eeproms for their bios

1 Like

I’m all for a learning opportunity, provided the tools cost less then the device. What is an rpi? Where do I find one, and how much? The monitor only cost a 100 dollars. if I remember correctly, linux can write the firmware, if it’s not in read only mode. Would Jumping the spi chip do that with out a programmer?

Raspberry pi

Not my link, but looks to be about right Link