Power Supply Recommendations

So I’m looking at this unit:

But I want to make sure theres not a better unit I could get. I don’t need a Platinum or Titanium PSU, Gold will do fine. But I’ve seen very little bad about EVGA power supplies. I know Antec and SuperFlower are also both excellent, but I’ve only had one Antec PSU (still not dead somehow), but I don’t know what models are good.

Thanks for any info

EVGA power supplies are usually good. And if first comes to worst it has a 10 year warranty and EVGA’s customer service is great in my experience.

Another option would be a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold. I’m not sure if I’d say there would be a noticeable difference between the EVGA and Seasonic for most people, but it’s an option. Seasonic is also a fairly well regarded OEM.

3 Likes

I think I like the listed specs on the EVGA supply in comparison.

I now own 3 of those G+ power supplies. Between 3 machines I have a 650W, 750W, and 1000W. I was first attracted to it by the reviews and the fact that its ripple is relatively low and does not have capacitors buried in the cabling.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/07/30/evga-supernova-750-g1-750w-power-supply/2/

1 Like

They’re both 80+ Gold 750 watt power supplies, in use you most likely wouldn’t notice a difference.

Only real difference is the EVGA has more peripheral connectors, but the Seasonic is smaller (more space for stashing cable bulk). Pick whichever is better for your use case.

I’ll be the first to admit that I am biased towards Seasonic, but that’s because I’ve had a few of their power supplies and have never had any issues with them. I still have a 650 watt Gold from 2012 or 2013 that’s working great, even after a chest high trip to the floor.

But as I mentioned in my first post, there is nothing wrong with the EVGA power supply.

OEM for the EVGA seems to be FSP, which is another well known OEM.

1 Like

Right, I’m just looking at the 120Watt line. Didn’t consider size though.

I mean, the higher the efficiency, the higher the quality of the parts used to build it. But it does get pricy at some point for sure.

I would always prefer the maker of the thing and the brand who covers the warranty to be the same company.

Isnt there a tier list for PSUs out there? I think there is also a site that (like buildzoid) opens up and analyses the contents of the PSU and they rank it to A-E or something?

1 Like

I usually buy SeaSonic. Have been since the 90s. Between their warranties and the trust that other brands place in them as the OEM for so may brand PSUs out there, why not go to the source?

1 Like

The focus (non plus) is pretty good.

The EVGA G+ isn’t bad either.

I’d say don’t over think it too much and just get one.

4 Likes

My EVGA 550 has the 2 8-pin GPU plugs my GTX 770 needs
My dau’s Antec 380 has just the one 6 or 8pin needed for the GTX 1060
Both have been great for years, the Antec is better IMHO, the EVGA turns off if I wiggle the plug

EVGA really stole the thunder from Corsair when they came out with the new G Series. I have the G2 and it’s been great. Don’t pay much attention to the OEM list, for the most part it’s based on product segmentation. The cheaper units like the bronzes are made by FSP but the most of the G series are made by SuperFlower, a very highly regarded OEM. Buy with confidence.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.