Power output of a ups

I have just bought a ups after talking to someone at overclockers.co.uk and posting a topic on here.

Everyone I spoke to said it would work. Before I plug the thing in I was wondering if anyone could confirm some things for me.

It is a 1200va ups with a power factor of 0.6

From looking online I have worked out that this means the ups can only output 720watts.

I need about 900 watts when I install my second gpu.

Is my math right? Or is everyone else correct and it will output 900watts?

It will only output 720W, but you're not gonna be pulling that much power if you're not gaming or doing something really really heavy.

I will be gaming on gtx 1080's in sli

That power factor it is what it is. You're only going to get 720W at best out of that PSU unfortunately. Looks kinda cheap a PSU with that power factor. Also is it pure sine wave? If not I highly reccomend a pure sine wave because the aPFC on the power supply can make a big mess if it has to smooth out something other than a sine wave.

It does simulated sine wave

Good enough I guess. But why not getting a serious PSU since your system looks like to be expensive? If you take a look at my system (look at my profile) is not even close to your but I decided to protect it anyway.

I checked how many watts my systems draws again and with the 2 gpus it is 690 watts. So I am good there. Not sure why I thought it was 900 watts.

This ups is just for the rig. If it works out, and my corsair ax1200i psu lasts more than a year using this ups, I will upgrade to a better one and demote this one to the monitors.

I am only using the ups as extra protection. I am not bothered about using it for power cuts. Just trying to stop my issues with the ax1200i.

model and specs ???? ratings are overrated (lol) IMO, let s have a look at the manuf and the model !

Well you're on the edge of it but yeah, can work. Regarding your issues with the AX1200i I think that a cheap PSU might give you more issues than not using one at all. Upgrade the PSU as soon as you can, this is my advice.

This is pulled from the overclockers.co.uk web site

1200VA INTELLIGENT UNINTERRUPTABLE POWER SUPPLY WITH USB/RJ11 4 X IEC

Quality UPS battery backup solutions can be prohibitively expensive, especially when combined with built-in ‘intelligence’ and additional line filtration. The new range of LMS Data intelligent tower UPS series offer both excellent value for money, powerful performance coupled with intelligence to allow correct monitoring of both its internal systems and a graceful shutdown of its attached server or workstation.

Available from 500VA which is ideal for standalone computers, home entertainment systems, up to 1200VA versions which are ideal for heavy-load professional systems requiring either a much longer battery run-time or allowing a much high voltage load such as servers, CCTV systems and PABX devices. With USB interface fitted as standard to all models for effective power monitoring and shutdown, the range also benefits from integral an RJ11 interface, ideal for digital PBX line filtration and thus maximum up-time.

FEATURES

• 1200 VA sealed LA battery technology
  • Supports 110/120 or 220/230/240 volts @ 50/60Hz
  • Simulated sine wave to protects against spikes, brown outs etc
  • Battery back-up time approx. 45 minutes*
  • Intelligent USB interface for monitoring and OS shutdown
  • Supports Windows(tm)98/2000/2003/XP/Vista
  • Supports Windows(tm)7 and Windows8(tm)
  • Short circuit and over discharge battery protection
  • Cold-start with automatic battery charging + RJ11 filtering
  • 4 IEC (female) output connections for standard device input
  • Status LEDs and control for battery, backup and charging
  • Dimensions 95mm (W) x 340mm (D) x 165mm (H) approx.

when you say psu are you talking about the ups or the psu in my rig ?

Ops sorry, got things mixed up a bit. I'm talking about the UPS. The Corsair AX1200i is amazing, as far as I know.

That's cool. Easily done.

I will upgrade the ups, once I know it has solved the issue.

What issues are you having with the AX1200i?

Feel free to PM me about it, I'll try to help if I can

I am on my 4th AX1200i

The 1st and 2nd had a capacitor pop in them while the pc was switched off
The 3rd started cutting out randomly. After it cut out it would fail the self test. After a few hours it would start working again.

Corsair have sent me a 4th (amazing warranty and customer support I have to say). I have had it a week waiting for the ups to arrive. Hopefully the extra protection will stop any more issues.

Wow, that's pretty bad. None of you other electronics have suffered damages other than your PSU?

Nothing. Consoles, monitors, tv's, laptops and everything else fine.

Wow, that's really weird. Have you ever checked the outlets and tested the whole electric system? Have you tried to connect the PC to another outlet?

Each time the pc was plugged into a different outlet.

Had a check recently and everything is fine

"Who you gonna call?" "Ghostbusters!"