Power on issue with PSU: Corsair 1200HX, Mobo: Rome2D16-2T

Hi all, not sure if this is a MOBO/BIOS or PSU problem. Hoping to find some guidance. Maybe I am doing something totally wrong or have incompatible hardware.

Please share thoughts and guidance.
Thanks

Context

Building a home HPI to host workstations (VMs) and home things for 3-5 ppl to use.
First ever build on a server MOBO - otherwise been building my PCs for 20+ yrs.
11 year member, first post!

Current Problem

Cannot power on when I connect any drive to SATA ports on MOBO. Power ON for a split second then power is shutdown to I assume protect something.

Current State

HPI powers on with all the peripherals attached to power. If I try to connect one or more drives to SATA ports on MOBO, does not power on.

Other notes

My original comment on not being able to read voltages in HW Monitor (BIOS) in MULTIPLE mode on PSU was wrong. I can read voltages. Although not sure if what I am reading is good or not.

Ultimate Goal

1- Being able to power up the HPI with all peripherals connected:

• 2 x 16TB HDD (to SATA0 and SATA1 on MOBO)
  • 4 x 4 TB SSD (4 SATA to Oculink)
  • 2 x 2 TB NVME - working fine
  • 1 GPU (currently a GTX 1060 that uses 6pin PCIe power)

2 - Finish the build and move on to software part of the project.

Hardware

• Corsair HX1200

• Rome2D16-2T & x2 EPYC 7742 (Rome2D w up to date BIOS and BMC)

• GTX 1060 (irrelevant)

• Fractal Torrent Case (has fan controller that needs power from SATA) - All 5 case fans are connected to the controller then to CPU_FAN1

• 4x 4TB SSD - For testing purposes only: daisy chain on a single PCIe 6 pin cable → PSU (eventually 4 SSDs will connect to MOBO w/ Oculink)

• 2x 16TB HDD - daisy chain on a single PCIe 6 pin cable → PSU
    (Tried connecting single drive with single cable - both drives together etc.)

Connections explained based on the MOBO layouts below:

Power - Only A and B connected to PSU. C is not connected.

• CPU Fans are (2 Noctuas on a Y split cable) connected to FAN1.
  • All Case fans are connected to the Torrent Fan Controller - Fan Controller is connected to FAN2.
  • Torrent Fan Controller is connected to a SATA power outlet by itself.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.