Power Loss

Currently trying to figure out why my computer is restarting on its own and was wondering if all this random shutting down is in any way bad for the hardware? I remember it being bad when I was little and my parents telling me not to just flip the switch in the back when I was done. I did some research and some people are still saying this is hard on the PC? True or False?

I don't know about other components, whether they've upgraded in that area and it's less hard on them, but I'm fairly sure it's still hard on your storage components, HDD or SSD.

Can you explain little more.

Maybe you damaged some hardware or something.

sudden power loss is never good as it doesnt save stuff.

For starters I'm relatively new at working on computers. My power loss issue has been happening for about 2 months now. Random shutdowns always happen when I'm running Far Cry 3 but also happens outside of games just not as often. I have been learning about event logs since this started happening and I have been getting a few different events that show up.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 4

and

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffffe0018e79f038, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\020115-11640-01.dmp. Report Id: 020115-11640-01. (I get provide the dump if you need it).

and

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

(Plus a few others if you want to see them)

I was told it was a bad PSU so I got mine replaced using my warranty but it kept happening when I got a new one. Also have changed outlets, power strip, power cable, different component cables. I guess its possbile that I got two bad PSU in a row but not likely.

I have also updated my drivers and updated a bios for the first time. My temps seem to be ok. The hottest anything get is my GPU 62 C.

As of today I started running software to test hardware so I ran Crystaldiskinfo and that showed my hard drives were working good. Then I ran prime95 and that shut it down within 5 seconds of it running so i'm going to try that again.

Also on one of my other hard drives I have window 7 install on it before I got my SSD and never had problems with it other than being really slow. I ran it yesterday and had the same random shutdown when playing far cry 3.

Thanks for your time and any advice or help. If you need any more info let me know.

CPU: AMD FX--6350

RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (1888 Gskill, found out yesterday this is not on the accepted vendors list yesterday, but I haven't had a problem with this setup until a couple months ago so I don't think this is the problem).

Motherboard: ASUSTeK M5A78L-M LX PLUS

GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Storage: 238 GB Plextor PX-256M6s ATA Device (SSD)

465 GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT

298 GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BEVT