Power Company Sends Fire-Spewing Drone to Burn Trash Off High-Voltage Wires

In Xiangyang, China, you send in the drones. Specifically, the drones that shoot fire.

Just in case you were worried that the robot uprising was delayed, fear no more. It appears to be right on time, as these fire-spewing drones are sent to burn off trash that gets stuck on high-voltage wires.

The drones are being used by an electric power maintenance company in China to get rid of plastic bags and other debris that get caught in places that are hard to reach with a human in a cherrypicker.

3 Likes

Cool...I want one to burn the trash in high places too....bwahahaha.

1 Like

Yes, I want one too. For totally legitimate reasons >_>

5 Likes

I can already see a major accident happening.

1 Like

It should be legal to use such a drone to chase off Jehovahs Witnesses that try knocking on my door.

4 Likes

To be honest: That's a pretty good idea. In Frankfurt (Main) they had winter-weather that caused ice to form on the electric overhead lines for the tram, causing the tram to shut down. All of the lines had to be de-frosted by people with gas torches and lifting platforms. It took most of the day to get the system up and running again.
Although the flame in the video seems excessive to me.

I wonder if the drone have enough lift to pull a dragon costume around?

3 Likes

What could go wrong

2 Likes

How long until somebody takes remote control of one and causes massive fires?

1 Like

I think it would be easier to make my own dragon drone. 'Course, I can't code.

Now the real question is when someone wants to make an open source project based off of this.

Didn't @wendell need a project for some type of coding?

1 Like

Yall are missing the true calling of this drone, to be bought by the US and used to burn terrorists in their caves.

1 Like

WTF?! “Now, before you get all worried about drones like these being used to kill humans, just remember that drones are already being used to kill humans practically every day.”

That’s the scariest line from the whole article. Literally translates into… Don’t worry about drones killing people because they already do that. Yea, So comforting.

1 Like

Why you necro. :frowning:

1 Like

Stupid question: Couldn’t you just de-ice it by running the tram?

2 Likes

11 Month Necro, thread closed.