Post your tech fail stories here

I just threw up on my das keyboard (two months old or so) and it is not working anymore. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKing shit… I took it apart wiped it down with rubbing alcohol. Hopefully it will be fine after a day or two of no use. God fucking dammit!!!

3 Likes

My work moved into a new office and I was setting up the new network closet. I couldn’t figure out why all the VOIP phones couldn’t connect to the internet.

So I check the signal from the closet to the wall, double-check the demarc, check to so if the APs have internet. I then realized I forgot to uplink from the phones switch to the main switch (there are only 2 switches in the closet). I was too focused on making sure all the cabling was neat and tidy in my new network closet. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Interesting one from my GF’s former boss who has been working from home to help out during the COVID19 crisis on a temporary basis…

She moved ~700 km drive away from Perth (Esperance) and last week had an issue with her work-issued laptop (wouldn’t charge).

So she drove all the way back to the company office to get IT to check it out. Got to the office where IT looked at it - worked fine.

Turns out she had a breaker trip on her house/power board somewhere and the wall outlet was the problem.

Oops.

Presumably/hopefully she had other things to do on the trip to Perth :smiley:

3 Likes

Happens to the best of us.
And only when you do not have a multimeter/test lamp on hand.

2 Likes

Yeah, but you have other outlets in your house and other devices to test an outlet with before deciding to drive 1400 km round trip :smiley:

4 Likes

Had an LG G3 flashed with lineageOS. Installed an app that claimed to lower the 4k to 1080p and make the phone snappier. Hard bricked the phone so bad had to send it to a guy on ebay that could factory flash it with a jtag.

Was trying to flash tasmota on an esp board and didn’t know I was supposed to cross over tx and rx, was spoiled with wireless methods on other boards.

Sure I have plenty other fails I’ll remember if given time.

2 Likes

The fact that she personally drove a laptop 1400km instead of mailing it is far more of a fail than thinking it’s dead for plugging it into an inactive power source.

2 Likes

i’ll just … leave this here :wink:

3 Likes

Shit I regularly drove 1xxx km ( whatever 820 miles is in km) one way

On three day weekends, to see my gf a few states away.

Took 3 tanks of gas each way and after doing it several times , I could do it in about 11 hrs

1 Like

That is some real dedication. I thought me driving 3 hours every orher week was something.

2 Likes

At work, someone had set the /etc/hosts file to be immutable on around 1/2 of the environment so when I went to update and reboot the primary DNS server we got flooded with dns resolution failed logs because I had pushed out a change to failover to the secondary DNS server first which ofc didn’t get through to everything.

I recieved ~180 calls that night from PagerDuty.

Boy was it fun in the standup the next day.

3 Likes

Power related , not all tech but funny now time has passed.
Plugged a 3.5 floppy power connection one pin offset, clouds of pvc smoke / wire melting as I powered on the pc !

Was with engineer in work and we was showing our senior suit why important customer had a fault with his new system, holding up a mains powered board with a glass fuse at 240Volts (bare metal ends) we pointed it out as having been the problem, he then quick as a flash pushed his finger on the fuse, saying this one ? He did not visit engineering much again !!

Tried to ignite sparkler firework with a metal wire core on an electric bar heater when a small boy, yes still remember that even many many years later.

That oh no thump as new 3TB drive was pushed of the side of my table, the click of death was inevitable, not having much money at the time as well… all my own fault for getting careless.

3 Likes

@rustynut

reminded me of a fail of mine. I borrowed a cpu from a friend (8350), I left it on a tv dinner table pins not protected. Not paying attention I backed into that tv dinner table and all the pins went caput. All of them. I didn’t bother trying to put humpty dumpty back together. Luckily microcenter had a deal for a 8350 that went for like 50 dollars. Easy enough I bought that for him.

3 Likes

I couldn’t get my finger or a screwdrive between my gpu and the heatsink to unlatch the clip. So I pulled the gpu out without considering the damage. In hind site it wasn’t the end of the world. But the possibility of destroying my motherboard didn’t seem to bother me. It broke the clip. Now i have a gpu that easily comes out of the pcie slot. And the pcie slot still works.

When I was much younger a similar occurrence happened. I pulled out a sata cable with the clip not realizing there was a clip and broke the motherboard and it wouldn’t boot after that.

1 Like

It is not DNS,
It is definitely not DNS,
It can’t be DNS,

It was DNS.

Phone was not working. Since my modem/router offers all the options, I almost randomly changed things around. At some point, changing SIP from UDP to TCP made it work…
Until I had to either restart my router or accidentally unplugged it. Phone dead, again.

Today I went through the entire configuration for the phone again, following the provided documentation and documentation for my ISPs enterprise service.
It was off course, DNS.

2 Likes

Still together?

2 Likes

I was sweeping around desks, pulled a chair out and it cought a stack of HDDs on the edge of the desk, 5 of them tumbled to the ground, they’re customers…

5 Likes

Back when I had my Galaxy Note 2(Verizon) I was trying to root it and ended flashing it with AT&T version… with no backup of the Verizon verison

2 Likes

Killed the network configs on my vm server and now I have to get the monitor and keyboard out to fix it :sob:

5 Likes

Its Saturday evening. My wife and son is in bed sleeping. I’m enjoying some good music on my headphones. My headphones are Hifiman Sundara, not crazy expensive, but not cheap either. As an proud uneducated man I like to enjoy some good red wine with my music. Alcohol is fantastic, but also makes you pee. I had been to the toilet and made room for more red wine. Not-so-sober-me sits down in that lazy way you do when tipsy. Guess what was laying in my comfy chair? Yes you guessed it… My headphones. My ass did a good job of rearranging the ergonomics of the headphones. Luckily the Sundaras have a aluminium frame and i bent them back to a 97% satisfaction. Don’t drink and music kids!

8 Likes