How not to fry your hardware

hi !
I just wanted to do a quick post in order for other to not replicate what i just did…
if you have a modular PSU, don’t plug your sata power blindly. I couldn’t see the pin so i wacked it at the PSU until it fit … it did fit … in the PCI connector >.<

12V in the 5v or 3.3v, the 2 intel ssh and my poor WD Velociraptor didn’t liked it :sob: Magic smoke everywhere…

Welp, that’s it i guess :confused:

Edit: i am buying a donor board for my Velociraptor, and i took a picture of the fried board for posterity :fearful:

4 Likes

The platters would still be alright, no? If the drive had something vital, you could take it to a data recover place and they could attempt to swap the platters. :thinking:

3 Likes

already asked for quote, the data is not vital but nice to have (my old windows is on it)
But i loved that thing, a blast for the past >< i need to find another one from ebay

1 Like

Moral of the story - be careful where you stick your things people…

Sorry to hear that. I can relate to loving old tech, no matter almost all of mine is fairly modern. I think if you are lucky you may find great condition velocyraptors used…

3 Likes

uh, you should never have to smash stuff together with pc components.

2 Likes

i just tried to align pin that i couldn’t see, but i do remember someone saying that 6 pin sata was the same as 8-2 pin PCI :frowning:

One of the reasons why i personally don´t really see the point of fully modular psu´s.
Because you need the basic set of cables anyways…

But of course always think twice before doing things…

2 Likes

Mostly because of customs length cable for me. But i actually never use any :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Just… Ugh, they are all keyed so you can’t plug them in wrong like you really have to try.

2 Likes

Sadly no, on my corsair psu, the 6 pin fot the sata is keyed identically than the first 6 of the 8 pin pci :frowning: only the label can help you, so it took no effort to plug in the wrong one

I like them for smaller and good cable management build purposes. If your as meticulous as me then you won’t have a problem building a system.

Also they are extremely well labeled usually…

That’s just ridiculous! Fuck corsair.

1 Like

I’ve had “magic” smoke everywhere, but not because I did something wrong, well I did, but the thing is I did not check how much power computer would receive from my home. Little did I know, the el socket that was the closest one to my build, was damaged and was giving out way more electricity than it should’ve. Burned everything after a few minutes I plugged it in :slight_smile:

A friend had a similar problem. PSU died so he bought another. The old cables fitted by the wiring was different and he fried two HDDs.

1 Like

Arrr, why isn’t there any standard on modular psu !
I hope he didnt lost to much.

For me i won’t recover the data. I requested quote from 2 company, both are around 700€. My data was ‘nice to have’ but not critical.

Had something similar happen the other day at work. RMA department came looking for a sata cable because they got a psu that was missing one, I gave them what i thought was for the correct model… It wasn’t… There was a custom daughter board in that system that went up in smoke I just wiped my hands and said “should have checked with a multimeter first”

Moral of the story. Nou

1 Like

Wha…? How?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.