Post Your Home Network Setups

MSPaint net diagram's are the best cx

This is my shitty router and modem setup. I just put in the UPS today and got NUT running on my PfSense box. The PfSense box is an Itx AsRock Intel Celeron J1900 board with 2gb's of ram, and an intel pcie gigabit card. It runs off a cheapo 60gb ssd that I bought at frys for like $30.

1 Like

@Dexter_Kane
O_O ...Is this all for personal use, or you run a business out of your home as well? I recognize some of the stuff for personal (and private) use, but it looks like you might be running a business as well.

Do you store anything on any of your local machines, or is everything stored on the servers (files and media obviously are on them). What's your backup plan like? How much power does all this take?

No points for unoriginal Greek pantheon device hostnames.

The price you pay for control.

If you're talking about accessing away from home though, he'd need to pay for a speed and a lot of bandwidth.

Actually, you have that stuff written down somewhere, so it's easy to setup again upon equipment failure. Ideally, you have a backup device preconfigured, so you plug in and are back up in minutes. But for a personal network like @Dexter_Kane's, I could see where it would be financially impractical to have backup hardware of every part of the network.

@Dexter_Kane
Have you had a major failure yet? What was your downtime like?

@wkpsfbx
Hahahaha!!! ...You're not serious, right?

1 Like

It's entirely for personal use, I think I may have a hoarding complex :p

The names started out as a reference to deus ex, back when I only had three computers (Daedalus, icarus and helios) then I just kept it up from there.

The biggest failure I had was when I had 8 1.5tb WD greens which all failed within a month of each other. I didn't loose any data but it took a long time to restore everything. Otherwise the network has been pretty solid.

All the other computers had small SSDs with all storage being on the server. Just games and software installed locally.

My backup plan is still a work in progress. There's a bunch of stuff which is backed up nightly using rsync then an incremental backup of that which stores a month worth of changes and a weekly offside backup of the most important stuff.

You can often get a used ex-enterprise 48 port switch for under $100 so it works out cheaper than buying a new switch (especially a managed switch) with less ports.

2 Likes

Yes, my PC plugs directly into a socket in my apartment wall. I don't really have any other devices that don't have their own 4G connections so I haven't bothered to get a router.

Its a ubiquity NanoStation NSM5 connecting me to the basestation (where I have no idea what ubiquity device it is, as it's on my ISPs infrastructure)

I scored both 24P switches at company liquidation sales; both actually were never used =D

1 Like

by chance is it a procurve 2524? I have one of those, it's uselessly old but I keep it around for the massive amount of ports even though the rest of my network is gigabit. The fans on the thing are reminiscent of a jet turbine...

made this in visio

Your NAS and gaming PC are both on wireless? Heresy.

1 Like

haha, wireless is only for the cellphones, tablets, and laptops not shown.

The fact that you had it pointing to a wireless router had me confused.

it has ethernet ports too -_-`

Yeah I know but I thought you would have everything wired going to your switch. lol

Modem: Whatever Charter gives for Spectrum
Router: ASUS RT-AC56R
AP: Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise AP Unifi (UAP)
Switches: TP-LINK : TL-SG1008D 8-Port Gigabit (x2) & TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit
Cabling: CAT6 (everything)

1 Like

It's a 2610. Absolute crap to honest but like you say, ports are ports!

My wired network. Virtualized as much as reasonably possible.

GPU passed through to desktop VM
HBA passed through to ZFS VM
WAN side NIC passed through to pfsense
All hosts other than pfsense running Debian testing or stable

3 Likes

You would think Motorola would have designed the new Surfboard modems with those LEDs in mind. You can use those modems as a freaking night light. Good thing I use electrical tape to cover mine.

I put duct tape over the lights and sandwiched it between the UPS and a printer. Took the duct tape off for the pictures though cx

1 Like

I don't see any residue from the adhesive.