Post your Dream Small Form Factor Project

Any longtime member would know mine is a SNES PC
So lets see your Dream SFF builds

2 Likes

System76 Meerkat with dual Gig NICs, based on Ryzen.

I don’t want much.

1 Like

Sega Genesis with a PC inside could be interesting, getting a gpu in there… eeek thatll be hard to do

I’d have to look but wasn’t the genesis even bigger than the SNES

slighly wider if irc

SNES 2.8" tall, 9.5" deep and 7.8" wide
Genesis 2.25" tall, 8.45 deep, 10.95" wide
so not as deep or tall but much wider

still, more space to work in, plus it has a volume slide XD

Your CPU will suffer because lower heatsink height but you could fit a better GPU, maybe even a 1660 if you could mitigate the heat output
I think you have about 50mm to work with heightwise

possibly have a bunch of noctua 44mm exhaust fans in the rear and pray to god the heat goes down XD

you have natural vents on the leftside, much larger than the ones on the SNES so if you put some static pressure fans on them you much could just swing it
might have to drop down to a 1050ti/1650ti when it comes out

could also drill some holes on the underside to increase airflow under the card, possible intake from underneat, and then have feet that lift it a bit higher to reduce choking

mines going for complete sleeper with no external mods but if you do drill holes on the bottom then all of your thermal issues disappear

mine would be sleeper until you flip it lol, just a thought… USB port hub in the top slot… perfect

1 Like

just get a sega cd model 1 as well as the genisis model 1 then you have 2 chambers to work in and can potentially have a full height card.

2 Likes

Hollowed out George Foreman grill with the grill as a passive heatsink.

5 Likes

not a bad idea gives you 2 clam shells and a reasonable heat dissipation area. might take a bit of fiddling to make it work as a GPU heatsink and not risk the die.

1 Like

I already have one case half built using the aluminum plates from one of those grills as the top and bottom, mounted a generic 775 heatsink with a copper center on an N3150 Atom, then ripped the fins off of a GPU cooler so the copper center hits the plate where the GPU made contact, and a heatpipe spreads the heat out from there. Not that the Atom needed that much cooling, but it was a proof-of-concept. I put holes in the GPU heatpipe assembly (VRM area, not the pipe) to line up with the top so I could secure it and remove as needed.

It worked and I stopped messing with it, but could be made to work with a better MicroATX system. I’ll probably wait for low end 7nm Ryzen APU’s since I’m pretty happy with the Ryzen 5 2400G in my HTPC as it is.

I hate how few passive cases exist. If I can do it with literal garbage then it must be possible on an affordable scale. With lower wattage architectures, which can do more with every generation, passive cooling will become more popular.

1 Like

George forman PC?!
I like it keep me updated!
Add some 390Xs for full grill functionality

1 Like