Possible to disable 25H2 upgrade notifications?

I just installed 24H2, and I’m getting annoying 25H2 upgrade notifications every boot now. I won’t be “upgrading” to any optional updates. How can I disable these annoying optional update notifications in Windows update, and the system tray?

I did something similar. I rolled back to 24H2 in order to keep the Windows Mixed Reality (VR driver) working. Microsoft killed PCVR in the 2025 update.
I also had to do Reg Edit to stop the 25H2 update, but continue to allow security updates.

I don’t remember the details, but I found the info in the reddit VR community.

Here: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/defer-or-delay-windows-11-feature-upgrades

Look for the registry setting: “DeferUpgrade”

2 Likes

Deferring is one way, you can prevent upgrades past preset version via GPO or manually in more elegant way. Just specify your target release and be done.

Details for all variants here:

Oh I didn’t know you could specify a Target version like that - that’s pretty neat!

Thank you both for the helpful info! I think I’m going to go with the defer method because I’m likely to forget that I did this modification in a year’s time when I actually will need to update to 25H2. I’ll just set the defer length to the week 24H2 is EOL’ed.

1 Like